ThreeDJ16

Schweinshaxe

Ok, this is a work in progress as I am constantly tweaking on this recipe. It can be made several different ways: completely in the oven, completely on the grill or a combo of in the pot and oven or grill; also brined or not brined (or pickled).

My preference currently is brining and cooking the meat in a pot or dish with liquid for the first several hours (doesn't really matter if the pot is on the stove, oven or grill), then when tender, moving it to the grill for the rest of the cooking.

Brine Recipe (Sweet Pickle Brine - just divide everything out to your desired quantity)

-5 gallons water

-5 lbs salt

-1 lb sugar

-1 oz saltpeter (you can skip this if you are only going to brine a day or two, but need it to brine for longer - up to 10 days)

-6 garlic cloves or 4 Tbsp liquid garlic

-4 oz pickling spice (optional - I don't use)

-12 Juniper berries crushed (my addition)

Buy either the haxe cut from a local German butcher or some grocery stores will sell the bottom half of a shoulder which is close enough (haxe is actually the opposite side of the same joint). Cross cut score the skin all the way around the meat and brine it for several days. If you are not going to brine, put a good layer of salt, pepper, paprika (buy high quality paprika only, such as Szeged) and crushed juniper berries.

-1 leek (or sub an onion)

-1 carrot

-1 rib of celery

-6 crushed juniper berries

-1/2 Tbsp cloves

-1 Tbsp Mustard seed

-1/4 tsp cumin

-salt & pepper to taste (depending on how salty the meat is, you can add more later if needed when making the gravy)

-beer, stock & water - equal parts, enough to cover meat and vegetables

Place everything in the pot and add enough liquid (equal parts beer, stock and water) to barely cover everything. Cook over low heat until meat is starting to reach desired tenderness (2 hours after the pot gets up to temp). Take the meat out of the pot and place in oven or grill at about 350 and cook till desired tenderness (another 2 hours) while basting with beer (with salt and a pinch of cumin added to beer). You can bring the temp up to 400 for the last 30 minutes to increase the skin crunchiness.

While the meat is finishing up, take the liquid and boil it till about half of what you started with. Then strain it completely of all solids. Add a couple Tbsps corn starch or flour to a small cup with a little cold water in it and stir till smooth, then add to liquid in pot and boil till desired thickness.

Serve haxe and gravy with potato dumpling, spaetzle or mashed potatoes. I usually serve a gherkin salad and green bean salad before the meal. Want any of those recipes too?