LarryR

Steak Cook VIDEO

OK, here's one of the two, videos I shot. Thought about trashing it because let's just say LarryR had enjoyed just a few too many adult beverages before and during shooting this. A couple things I wanted to point out:

1 - I don't think I explained very well in the video why a steak cook is one I love yet hate. Reason I hate it is it's such a short cook. I love a nice long cook on the KK. That's what I meant. In terms of grilling a steak, the KK is hard to beat period.

2 - Video 2 - I cannot believe I used the container I took the steaks out in the grill in for the final product. SO had placed a clean container right next to the used one.

3 - Video 2 - I typically temp my steak before dwelling, however for some reason on this one I didn't. So when you see me bringing out the top grate, my intention was that these would dwell for a couple of minutes to finish. Then we ran into the memory issue and that whole part got missed. If I need to dwell a steak I prefer to do it on the main grate as that lower grate is too close to the fire for dwelling (my opinion), I like getting my steaks away from the fire for a dwell.

4 - Video 2 - When I mentioned the salted steak tasted like a prime you would get at Morton's or Ruth's, I meant in terms of tenderness not flavor. Wasn't enough fat in those steaks for Prime flavor.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the videos, I plan on doing another steak cook in the future and replace this one, just too many adult beverages to put yourself on film :(

STEAK COOK ON KOMODO KAMADO PART 1

STEAK COOK ON KOMODO KAMADO PART 2

Re: Steak Cook VIDEO

Tony I hope that's a good thing. Regarding the audio I have no idea what happens, somewhere between when it's recorded and then edited together I seem to lose audio. When I go back to the original recording the audio is there. Very odd.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know others probably have great methods as well, this is just how I do mine. I think my next cook will be a tri-tip.

I liked watching your Video on grilling steaks. I never heard of Salting steaks. I thought it would make the steak less juicy. Also, after washing off the salt, does the steak taste salty ? I am always looking for ways to improve on grilling steak. My favorite is Rib Eyes as well.

One more thing, you say you season the steaks during the dwelling period ? Thanks for sharing.

EGG. The salting method can give your steak a slight salty taste. I just omit the salt in my seasoning. I do what's called a "naked sear" on my steaks = no seasoning on the sear because I'm doing it at such high temp the seasonings just get burned anyway. I season after the sear, works great.

"I had a recording glitch cause I'm half gassed" bahaha :lol:

Good video. I'm gonna try the 4 tablespoons of salt for an hour and rinse method. Seems interesting. I usually just salt then wait 20 minutes and grill. Not sure how rinsing affects the maillard reaction though since you rinse off the proteins that come to the surface which create the browning (so they say). Either way it was fun to watch. I had to cringe when you asked your fiancee to come closer and get a good shot of the fire when you opened it up. I was hoping there was no backdraft. I did that twice with a high temp cook....first and last ;)

For my steaks I never use the sear grill, just the upper grill. I find with the thickness of my steaks and my method, the outside gets burnt before the inside is cooked due to the high temps. Conversely my mother loves the sear grill. I just find I have more control using the upper.

Thanks for taking the time.