qundoy

a lamb cut i have never seen before

fetch?id=68591 received a sale flyer at a local hispanic grocery advertising lamb breasts. i couldnt stand not knowing more and went during lunch aand bought a package. as is typical of the hispanic groceries here the meat market is always fresh with good quality, the cuts are a bit different than you will find in your local kroger,tom thumb etc. I dont have a clue how to cook these, at this time there appears to be 3 racks all frozen together. the bones in the rack that i can see are a lot larger than what you would get on a traditional rack of lamb. I am leaning to the low and slow. I will know more once they defrost.

Re: a lamb cut i have never seen before

I'm slow roasting a pork belly tonight! Mmmmm

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cuisine ... 1m3t1.html

This always works and it can be done in the indoor oven or even on the grill. Should be great on the KK, but for now it will be done indoors. Very highly recommend this recipe.

Sorry for the hijack but you did say pork belly and I thought you may be interested...

I did a lamb breast once never having seen it before either. I roasted it on the KK at a moderate roasting temperature. Unfortunately, it was virtually inedible due to the extremely high fat content. Low and slow hopefully will give the fat a better chance to render. Considering how inexpensive this cut is for lamb, it would be great to know there is a good way to cook it. Please let us know how it comes out.

The racks have thawed and my 10 dollar investment isnt looking so good right now. not sure what to do with these as there is an abundance of fat.

these may be a better canidate for browning in a dutch oven and roasting down with potatoes, onions carrots after a lot of the fat is cut back,

cooked the lamb breast yesterday, low and slow for about 5.5 hours. on saturday i trimmed about a pound of fat from the breasts, smathered them with grey poupon mustard,salt pepper.

The breast looked and smelled very tasty when i pulled them off, i trimmed a bit more fat from them and slid a long carving knife under the meat at the bones. flipped this filleted piece of meat over and trimmed a ton more fat off. ended up with a thin piece of meat that was very tasty.

If you get the opportunity to purchase and cook this cut of lamb PASS IT UP, spend the money on a nice leg or a couple of racks. not worth the work for what you will end up with.

Yeah, I'm from the home of lamb, off a farm and do the books for two butchers: never heard of a lamb breast. As others have stated, it would be a cheap cut to get rid of the fatty meat from the end of what I assume is the rack, sold separately as a high valued cut.

A lot of the taste is in the fat, but that would be very fatty. I'm thinking almost cook it like a muttonbird: that is, in water for about six hours. Throw water away, do again. Throw water away again, and grill brown on the Komodo. It would get rid of the majority of the fat, and possibly leave tender meat. Though I suspect I'd then casserole it.