Ducaticraig

7lb Turkey Breast

I cooked a turkey breast at 350 and wanted to know if the thermometer on the KK read 350 what temperature would the Turkey breast be cooking at the level of the rotisseri? What would the temp difference be reading at the dome versus where the rotisseri sits?

While the turkey tasted excellent it cooked a lot faster than I thought it would. I thought it would take approx 2 1/2 hours and I pulled it off the KK around 1hr 50 min. The skin was dark brown when the breast read 161-165.

Sorry no picture, I was more freaked out how dark brown the skin was and forgot to grab the camera.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Re: 7lb Turkey Breast

Did you have the heat deflector sitting on top of the basket handles, or were you cooking direct? If cooking direct, you will cook considerably faster than if you had the deflector in... If you have the deflector in, you will be slightly higher than the dome temp, but not lots... Maybe one of the guys that have a stoker or guru can give you a better answer as some of them will tell you the pit temp, grate temp, etc...

Two things that will make a big difference are the heat deflector as mentioned above, and also how well your grill was preheated. If you didnt give your grill a little time to heat soak, your fire was likely hotter than your dome thermometer indicated.

When learning the nuances of my KK I used a cheap disc shaped thermometer on the rack sometimes to have an accurate idea of the temps on various racks vs the dome thermometer. You can also use the thermometer port on the right side of the grill to take a reading from closer to the food level if you want...just put your dome thermometer in there for a few minutes. From what I recall, during a low and slow, the difference was about 10* from the grate to the dome, likely due to the extended times where everything has stabilized at temperature. While grilling, the grates were not wildly different, but letting the grill pre-heat helped a bunch.

I heat soaked the KK for for about 45 min. I also cooked direct heat with the thermometer never going above 350. Next time I will try using the HD and see how that goes. Do most people use the HD when using the Rotisseri? Still new with my KK, trial and error, but next time I should reach out for some help before starting my cook. :)