Smokydave

My second cook on my Bronze Beauty

I got my KK on Thursday. It's everything Dennis and all of you said it would be! I don't regret the extra debt a bit. My first real cook was Sunday. Two racks of ribs. I struggled getting used to the control of the temp and they were overdone by a wide margin. Instead of tender or even falling off the bone, they were just plain falling. Not a bad taste though and I used pecan wood for the first time. I was pleased with the smoke taste. Today I fired up at 7:30 am. I had already bought a 15lb (13 after trimming!) brisket that was rubbed and covered in the fridge for 2 days. I also had an 8lb bone-in butt that I had rubbed with French's mustard and applied the same spice rub...that was also in the fridge for two days. My third meat was a rolled and tied pork roast that I brined for 2 days. I had a big day ahead of me so I loaded about 6 pounds of the Royal Oak (American) lump until I was over the lip of the basket. One wax cube and three chunks of pecan topped it off. I put the meat on before 8. I ramped up to about 350 and aimed for a high temp brisket and pork cook. About 3 hours into it, with horror, I realized the pork roast was probably already done, and it was. I had a great taste, good smoke ring and was not too dry. I had taken it off just right. When the brisket reached 175 internal, I put it in a foil pan with a couple of beers and a spritz of ketchup and sealed it up. Did the same for the butt except I used some apple juice and a smidgen of beer as well as some ketchup (I forgot the cider vinegar--adding it later). I let the KK continue to go at about 290 degrees until about 3:30 when I took the pans out. Both meats came out great even though I think both were a bit over done. When I do it again, I may go at 300 degrees for longer and less time in the foil. Like many who use the foil method, I missed the bark! I doctored up the juices from both meats, adding the vinegar and tonight we ate the brisket with some red cabbage slaw I made. We also had some sliced potatoes baked with heavy cream, butter and some cheese. I'm stuffed. Right now the KK is humming along on the remaining charcoal at about 295 degrees, 10 hours into the "cook". I want to see how long I can go with that much RO lump. I don't dare to dig into the precious ECC I bought with the KK yet! Thanks Dennis for all your help and advice.

fetch?id=68654fetch?id=68653fetch?id=68652