MadMedik

Pork Ribs: 2 racks or 1 rack when cooking

Okay, question about ribs. I am going to cook 4 slabs of ribs tomorrow. I have a rib rack, don't really like the rack. So this is what i am thinking....what do you think?

I have 4 racks of St Louis ribs. I am cutting them in half. I will take 4 "smallest" halves and put on the upper most rack. Take the 4 "larger racks" and put them on the main grill in middle

I plan to cook at 230 for 5 to 6 hours when they "feel done".

My main question..... should smaller ribs go up high? Or larger ribs up high? My thought is closer to the fire is "hotter" so put larger racks on main grill.....however, the KK is so efficient and with heat soaking, is the upper rack actually hotter than the main rack? If upper rack is "hotter" , should I put the larger racks up higher? This may sound sort of counter intuitive...but maybe i am thinking too much...maybe i am crazy...my wife says so...but that is another story...

Any thoughts (rib rack is not a consideration...not going to do a rack this cook).

MadMedik

Re: Pork Ribs: 2 racks or 1 rack when cooking

On my cooks, I use a wi fi guru to control temps. With the pit probe at main grate level, the temp is usually about 10-15 degrees hotter than indicated on the tel tru. I have not verified the accuracy of the tel tru.

Robert

Re: Pork Ribs: 2 racks or 1 rack when cooking

I also would reverse the stack, the dome does get hotter and when the KK is heat soaked it will "radiate" heat also. I tried the same thing with pork butts, bigger ones on top rack worked better for me. Good luck and let us know!!