Smokydave

Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo

Re: Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo

^ This!

I was getting ready to order a Fluke wireless thermocouple type temp system. But if the Thermoworks Blutherm Duo works, is accurate and has decent remote range it would save $$.

Thanks for posting...but per Loquitur: We want more! :D

Re: Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo I took my brisket off after 11 hours. The Duo has now been running for 15+ hours and the battery still says 100%. I'm amazed. I'm going to leave it running all night to see how much it will drain the battery. I'm amazed about every part of it except the range. Bluetooth usually isn't great through walls and this is no exception. However, I'm super pleased with it and it's another quality product from Thermoworks, just like the Thermapen. Here are some pics: I bought a Pelican case ($17 at Amazon) so I could have a watertight place to put it when in use. I drilled two holes in the bottom for the cables and hung in on the fence next to the KK. fetch?id=67524 Here are the cables going into the KK. The armored cable is quite thick and I had to really jam the stopper that came with the KK back into the hole when I put the cables through it. I'm going to try to make the hole in the stopper bigger. fetch?id=67521 The brisket. Note the temp probe for the grill held in a homemade clamp. fetch?id=67522 Here's the whole rig: fetch?id=67523

post-7469-13908240593_thumb.jpg

post-7469-139082405942_thumb.jpg

post-7469-139082405954_thumb.jpg

post-7469-139082405965_thumb.jpg

Dave: Thanks for the pics. Can you give us some more info about the range? The Thermoworks website says the range is 70 feet line of sight, which implies you have to be outside with it, but a quick web search says general Bluetooth range is 30 feet thru walls. I don't have any Bluetooth devices so I don't know how it would work for me. I would be unhappy to spend that kind of money and find I can't use it to monitor the grill from inside my house.

The 30 feet thru walls range would be fine. Is it a problem to get the angle on the penetration probe through the KK port? I love that you can use these probes at higher temps!!

I would say 70 feet is in perfect conditions and 30 feet through walls might be right, but I have a brick house with concrete block behind the brick so I think I'm at a disadvantage. I also think that since I'm at 59% battery after 32 hours of continuous transmitting, the Bluetooth must not be all that powerful. The probes are really heavy duty. The smokehouse probe business end is quite long--I think about 6-7 inches and yes, it did not fit through the port. I emailed Thermoworks support and they did not recommend bending it, but I did it anyways to lessen the 90 degree angle so I could get it through the port. Let me tell you, the metal is much sturdier than the iGrill probe. I really had to work to bend it carefully. Unless I screw up, I think these probes will last a very long time. I don't regret buying it for an instant.

Appreciate all the info, Dave. I have a birthday coming up in October and this will go to the top of my list. I think this would be good to have for those times where I don't need my Stoker to control the pit temp, especially since it seems so easy and quick to set up and use, and for high temp roasting, which fries regular probes.