trudeto

Bacon, bacon, bacon

I have started the biggest KK 'project' to date. Bacon . . . . My son in law and brother have both made it, so i decided to give it a try. But the only way to get pork bellies locally was by the case. Thus the biggest 'project' to date. 64.32 lbs to be specific. After trimming, I had about 51 lbs from the 4 bellies. To better handle them, I cut them into thirds, giving me 12 4-5 lb pieces. My son in law got 15 lbs, and I have the rest. Saturday I put them in to cure for a week. fetch?id=68797 The cure for each 1/3 belly: Brown Sugar (actually turbinado sugar!) Black Pepper Bacon 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup turbinado sugar 2 tbsp black pepper 1/2 tsp ground bay leaf 1 tsp ground garlic 1 tsp powdered onion 1/2 tsp thyme 2 tsp Prague Powder #1 Variations: replace half the sugar with maple syrup or molasses. (I am beginning to think that 1/4 cup molasses might be too much, but will report back on that one!) Maple Brown Sugar Bacon 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup turbinado sugar 1/4 cup maple syrup 2 tsp Prague Powder #1 Pineapple Head Bacon 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup Pineapple Head Rub from Dizzy Pig 2 tsp Prague Powder #1 (Hey, it sounds good to me, but will report out on it!) I have some of each of the above, with more black pepper versions than any others. After rubbing down, I put each in its own 2 gal ziplock bag. (Important safety note: don't get any dry rub in the zipper area, or the bag won't seal properly). fetch?id=68798 So now the wait begins, flipping each day . . . . fetch?id=68799