bryan

Apple Dumpling (Foil Pak)

Dumplings Apple:
Mix 1/2 stick softened butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon apple pie spice; stuff into 4 cored apples.
Wrap each in 1/2 disk refrigerated pie dough.
Seal in individual nonstick foil packets.
Grill over medium heat, turning a few times, 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Ceramic Chef   -  Welcome.

Have you other good memories from those past cooks that would be good eats now?  We all could use a little yesteryear.

Cook - I did kabobs of every stripe ... Beef, chicken, shrimp, etc. I really loved baked potatoes direct on the coals. Steaks were common. I even did some Cornish Game Hens on occasion.

My Father taught me to BBQ and cook over fire at an early age so by the time I was in Scouting, I wasn't intimitated by outdoor cooking at all. All I did was add a Dutch Oven to my bag of tricks and it was game on! Cakes, cobblers, breakfast biscuits, etc. As long as I had my griddle and Dutch Oven, I wasn't going to starve.

I'll have to rummage around and dredge up some of those cooks from a long time ago.

The site is lucky to have someone with your background.

Yourt DO cooking sounds interesting. It could open up a whole new world of KK cooking. Will the smoke flavor penetrate?

Looking foreward to your suggestions.

Shack - thanks! A Dutch Oven is one of the handiest things in any kind of good kitchen. I don't remember smoke getting into DO cooks and I did a lot of breads, cakes, cobblers. Now a days I have been know to smoke a chuck roast, pull it, and then use the pulled beef to do chili in a DO on my KK. Great flavor!

I've also done shepard's pie in a DO. I'll bake several Idaho bakers on the KK at the same time I cook some ground beef and lamb. I scoop out the potatoes, which pick up a subtle smoke flavor (for a more robust flavor use the whole potato), mash them up, blend in some cream cheese, baked garlic, butter, and half and half, and top the meat and gravy mixture with the potatoes. Then it's back in the KK after being being topped with some cheese. You can also use pulled smoked beef and pulled smoked lamb for even a smokier flavor.

I have lately been doing about a braise a week using a DO. I'm trying my hand at adapting classic braising recipes to the DO and the KK. Some have been quite successful. Others not so much. I think I'll start trying my hand at videos and posting them here. Stay tuned for further developments!

Cook - I generally don't take pics of cooks.  However, that is about to change.  Especially with videos.  

As for salmon, I'm Catholic and at this time of year, I'm a FISH person.  No meat Fridays!  Yeah, I've done salmon many times.  

As for the lid being off, when I do cook in a DO, it is generally after all the ingredients have had their smoke added during the preliminary cook of the ingredients.  I mostly keep the lid on the DO as I don't want to have to constantly add moisture to the cook.  The DO lid isn't an airtight seal, so just enough water evaporates to concentrate the sauce just about perfectly.  

I'll be posting pics of more cooks more often.  I look forward to your cooks!