yeehaaa

First KK turkey -- Help!

KK Fans,

I just got my little beauty and what a work of art. Dennis has created an amazing product =>> many kudos. For all of you that like the matte terra cotta, sorry I got the last one.....no, just kidding. Unfortunately, my card reader is down and can't post pics.

I want to smoke a 19# turkey and need some suggestions on how-to. I'm going to brine for 12 hours and use a Carolina dry rub....my wife's creation.

After searching the forums, the only thing I found was an 11 #er done at 325 for 3.5 hours. It looked darn good, too. I've done three birds, 15# to 22#, on my weber kettle sitting directly on the grill with drip pan below; and they all turned out great. I started them at 325 - 350 and then settled down the temp to about 220 - 240 after 2 hours. Cooking was 4 hours to 5.5 hours, depending on the size and the outside temp (which my KK isn't going to care too much about).

> Any ideas on keeping the temp high (325 or 350) for the entire cooking vs lower temp cooking (220 to 240)?

> Best setup in the KK, i.e., turkey directly on the rack with drip pan below, or turkey in a baking pan, beer can type, grill/rack setup, etc.

Thanks much!!

Coal Management...

Qith the OTB

Start with a full load and make sure coals are evenly lit towards the FRONT of the cooker with the coals towards the back unlit. Arrange smoke wood throughout the coals. I would also use a heat deflector (or set the turkey on a roasting pan). Maintaining ~350*F for a few hours should not be a problem. You may have to run out a couple of times to adjust the dampers but no more.

I did a 14# on Tday, 10 mins a pound @350 - 24 hour brine - apple brine recipe from Weber Virtual Bullet site. HD on the lump basket, drip pan on the main grill turkey on upper grill. I will be doing another on Saturday, I will do all the same again but probably drop the temp to around 325, the skin browned up too fast last time and I had to foil it the last hour or so. See it here near the bottom: viewtopic.php?t=956&highlight=turkkey