Sanny

Vidalia Nirvana

Oh my goodness!

Let's start with "I do not prefer onions." I won't put them on a sammich, or slice them in a salad. If they're in a salad, I'll pick them out.

Ok. Now that's taken care of.

I made a Q sauce to serve with the pork (raspberry chipotle), and it called for a small onion, minced. I bought a large Vidalia (thought it was plain white onion when I saw it), and chopped half of that in there.

But what to do with the other half? See above - wasn't gonna go IN anything I would eat.

So, I was making roasty potatoes for Mother, and saw that onion there. Sprinkled with Dizzy's Shakin the Tree rub, and some olive oil, wrapped in foil, and put on the grill.

Oohaaaah!! I'm adding them to the menu for Mother's fence party (neighborhood guys are coming to put up M's fence). Pulled pork, sauces, roasty onions. :)

I agree in principle to your raw onion statements, but grilled onions...now thats different! Vidalias are tasty, even just lightly oiled and grilled until soft, with nice sear marks on them!

You wanna kick your foil and rub recipe up a little? Try cutting a strip of bacon in half, and laying the halves crossed on top of the cut side. Dust with rub, wrap in foil, and bake as normal. Tasty!

I have seen others cut them in half and core out a little spot in the middle of each side then inserting a flavoring item in there (bullion cube, etc) - but I havent tried.