hOTSAUCE

hunky prime rib roast

Aging

Primeats, did you dry age it? I have followed the Cooks Illustrated method, leaving it out for 7 days uncovered in the fridge, then trimming.. Can you leave it longer? Or is there some other magic you do for a 3 week age ??

check out this string on the LTH forum- http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=30 I proudly aged this for him for 3 weeks' date=' he does a great job and is also a KK owner[/quote']

I own a butcher shop and have a walk in cooler where I can hang the primal cuts,the whole beef rib,for extended periods of time. The longest I like to age beef is 4 weeks,after that the shrinkage is quite extensive in that you must trim so far into the meat you lose a fair amount , and for me this means$$$.It would be difficult to age something in your own fridge for very long without plenty of air circulation,unless you don't want to use that fridge for anything else for a good long while. Another thing to keep in mind when aging beef, you must have a cut that is well protected by a thick covering of fat or bone-the rib fits this perfectly and about the only cut that I will age for this length of time. The loin will age well too(think t-bone), but now adays the packers don't leave too much fat covering around the tenderloin part of the loin, and even in the Chicago area there are not too many meat packers that fabricate primal cuts from whole carcasses.And I don't buy "sides" anymore( too heavy, to old to carry them).I will try to post a photo showing my prime rib delivery soon.

Considering how well the boneless eye-round turned out on my last cook, I suggest that you slow roast/grill to 120F at 220F in the KK, You then could remove the Rib roast and heat the KK as hot (~600-700F) as you can stand. Place the rib roast on a lower grid and sear on all sides, remove to the side and let stand while you close down the KK. By the time that you are ready to serve, the center of the rib roast should be rare to medium rare.