ckillgore

It's Almost Here!

Re: It's Almost Here!

I have a berkshire bone-in Boston Butt in the fridge and ready to go :mrgreen:

I'm accepting any recommendations on how to cook this, as I have never cooked on a ceramic grill before.

The KK will be delivered tomorrow.

Perfect first cook, very forgiving. Not much advice needed as your KK will do all the heavy lifting. I prefer lower temps, 225 - 235 but as you probably know butts are very forgiving so I wouldn't get too hung-up on temps.

I bury a few chunks of smoke wood in a full basket of fuel, toss about 5 lit briquettes on the top, asemble the rest of the cooker and I slowly bring to temp with the meat on. When I reach my desired temp I adjust the bottom vent and top hat, check temps a couple times and let her roll.

I typically do not open for basting or checking on her, prefer to leave lid closed until internal temp is around 190. I've had butts done at 187 - 205 but generally speaking I'm usually done between 195 and 200.

I'm assuming this isn't your first pork butt so I'm leaving some things out here re: rubs, smoke wood, holding and serving.

Good luck! I've got 4 8+ lb pork butts to do this weekend for X-mas myself.

If you want to do a dry run first, just load up the charcoal basket and start 'er up! Wait for the beast to become heat soaked , around 230, keep the damper and air intake to a minimum, watch it for an hour or so, then do a refill of coal

(not really necessary, but reassuring). Use the heat deflector over the charcoal basket, put the drip pan on top( I cover it with foil), put the pork butt on the main grate fat side down(my pref) and check back 12 hours later. It should almost jiggle when it's done! Do a forum search for similar methods, but you will be thrilled with the results!

Thanks primeatsand LarryR for the advice.

LarryR, this is my first pork butt. I've cooked alot on a regular grill, but the whole low and slow thing is brand new for me.

This forum has been great in helping me get up to speed.

BTW, it has arrived. I got everything setup last night and hooked up the BBQ Guru and decided to do a test run with it empty. Pretty cool, I got up this morning and it's still humming along at 225.

This thing is truly amazing, a hand crafted piece of art work, and built like a tank.

The pork butt is going on this evening ;)

Here's my go to recipe by our very own CHRIS LILLY, although I no longer do the injection, but I do use a finishing sauce when pulling.

If you like Pepper you can't go wrong with MR BROWN

Some good info on smoking pork butts on THE VIRTUAL WEBER BULLET. They have a "Cooking Topics" section on their site that's second to non and the majority of the stuff over there can be applied when cooking on your KK.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures!

Here are some Pics,

img0296rw.jpg

Pork butt on the Grill at 8 pm

img0306s.jpg

And at 8 am the next morning

img0309g.jpg

I ended up taking it off at 6 pm (22 hours), this sure does seem like a long time, but that's what it took to get it to 190.

The pit temp was 225 to 230 the whole time.

Anyway it turned out great, and of course it was the best pulled pork I've ever had.

And how about this for a pulled pork sandwich on a homemade potato roll

img0326t.jpg