PARESH65

Please help a newbie!!

gas startup

As soon as I get the proper gas fitting from Dennis I hope to be using the gas attachment for lighting up. Jasen you mention here if using the gas attachment to only light a small amount of charcoal maybe 2 minutes. I am familiar with the "minion" method for slow cooks, but here the lit charcoal is on top of unlit. Using the gas attachment even thou you only light a small amount will not the whole stack get lit in short order as it's from the bottom up?

Re: gas startup

As soon as I get the proper gas fitting from Dennis I hope to be using the gas attachment for lighting up. Jasen you mention here if using the gas attachment to only light a small amount of charcoal maybe 2 minutes. I am familiar with the "minion" method for slow cooks' date=' but here the lit charcoal is on top of unlit. Using the gas attachment even thou you only light a small amount will not the whole stack get lit in short order as it's from the bottom up?[/quote']

I reckon DJ's experience is the same as mine...

Although you light from the bottom if you keep the oxygen flow to a minimum the KK won't be able to burn "the whole stack".

i.e. keep the top turned for about 1/4 and keep the bottom closed .... oh yeah use a BBQ guru to regulate the amount of air... :P

PC you wanna chime in? :D

Yup, what Paul said. One and a half to two minutes is just enough time to get a few pieces lit on the bottom. After that, it is only going to burn based on the oxygen available. I know some people have a top or bottom lighting preference, but I have not seen any noticeable difference and have no issues either way. Now after the short gas burn, I do go ahead and close up the grill with the proper draft settings and let it slowly come up to the desired setpoint rather than rushing it.

-=Jasen=-

I toplight for lo-n-slos. The fire will tend to burn towards the bottom center where the air comes from. (That's where the smoking wood need to go as well.) Big lump on bottom and finer on top helps immensely with keeping the fire going.

Nothin at all wrong with sliced pork butt. Do it on purpose sometimes...

dub(a good fire begins with blackened hands)