Firemonkey

Grilling Wok

I wanted to try grilling some vegetables, other than the usual players (zucchini, squash, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc) and without using a foil pouch. I picked up a couple stainless grill woks at BJs wholesale on the cheap (<$10). They are pretty heavy, but Im not sure of the grade of stainless because I noticed yesterday that my magnetic grill light grabbed a hold of it :shock:

Anyway, I grilled some green beans and they were great. I tossed the beans in just enough olive oil to give them a light sheen and salted them with kosher salt. I had a hot fire (450-500 dome) going because I was going to blacken some salmon. I put the wok on the grill, let it heat for about 15-20 seconds, and tossed the beans on. Stir fried them for a few minutes, and removed the wok from the grill. The beans continued to cook on the hot metal, like fajitas, while I tended to the fish.

I put the fish on the grill, and cooked it over a hot fire; About 6-7 minutes a side with the lid closed, then moved it to the side while I put the wok back over the hot fire to finish off the beans. Worked like a champ. My only caution is that I was using LOTS of oak wood in the grill (oak fired salmon is awesome) but I didnt care for the smoke flavor on the beans. The smokiness was light though because they were cooked with the dome open. Next time, I will do the beans, add some wood, do the fish and finish the beans after the wood burns off. Were I not using so much wood, would have had no complaints.

I owe hotsauce a recipe for blackened salmon, from a previous request but I had cheated and used pre-packaged frozen salmon. This time, I used fresh salmon, which is infinitely better than the frozen stuff. Though the recipe is still pretty quick and dirty. I had a large bottle of Tone's Cajun Spices (in a big shaker from Sams club) in the cabinet, so I heavily coated the fish with it, and cooked as above.

dscn1807vq2.jpg

dscn1808sv5.jpg

One hint, especially if you have little ones, like my 2 year old who doesnt like spicy stuff yet. Trim the thin strip from the side of the fillet and dust it with a general BBQ rub. Cook it off to the side of the grill, and everyone is happy. You can see a small piece of this strip in the second picture. The little guy even asked for more! A super quick and easy meal, 30 minutes from fridge to table. Its even healthy enough for Majestik - see the brown rice :D

Re: Grilling Wok

...Its even healthy enough for Majestik - see the brown rice :D

Ahh, that's what that was. I thought maybe some local creepy crawler had found it's way onto your menu :roll:

I thought it might have been the meat from the Thai Mang Dah critters--sans shells. :smt003

Nah... knew better than that!

Thanks Firemonkey for the pics. Great looking meal!!