blumbergk

Porketta

So this friend of mine brought over this roll of pork from Iron Mountain, Michigan called a porketta (pics to follow). This is basically a rolled up piece of 1" thick pork loin tied up with cooking twine after seasoning and rolling. The instructions say 350 degrees in the oven for 1.5 hours so I figured anything cooked in the oven is better on the grill. I put it on the grill direct with a hood temp of 350 and plan to cook for about 1.5 hrs. I was wondering if I should cook to an internal temp of about 145 degrees or what. Any suggestions, it's been on the grill for 15 minutes. Does it matter if the meat is rolled up or a solid piece of meat to begin with regards to internal temp?? Any advice or experience is appreciated. We also have cheese curds and Italian sausage from central supermarket in Kingsford Michagan. Anybody ever had that??? It is awesome. Oh yea, you betcha..

We have a Fresh Market (chain specialty grocery) that makes those. They also make a beef one too.

Just my two cents, but I cook lean pork very hot and fast so it doesn't dry out. I would cook it as hot as you can get it without burning the outside (maybe 400-450??). If if starts getting brown before center is done, then reduce temps (that way the outside gets sealed).

-=Jasen=-

LEAN PORK

Tell me Jasen, the lean pork which you cook very hot and very fast, is that

marinated, rubbed, direct or indirect and are you using wood for smoke. I did a pork loin last Monday that I marinated, rubbed, slow cooked at 230

with hickory smoke. Turned out quite good, flavorful and tender but could have been a little more moist. I suppose I could baste half way thru but that is work, that is why I would like more details of your technique.

Hotsauce, I do pork loins frequently, and tend to do them at higher temps like DJ. Sometimes I marinate in a can of crushed pineapple, and McCormick Caribbean spice blend. Other times i will just put it on plain. I have also stuffed some and roasted them.

You can do direct or indirect, I have good results with either method. the longer cook times you describe will tend to dry it out since there just isn't enough fat in the meat to keep it most.

Last loin I grilled, I went with a 350-375* dome temp and seared it for about 5 minutes a side direct. Then put it in a roasting pan and finished it indirect, to collect the pan juices. All wit ha few chunks of grape vine for smoke. I added a cup or 2 of Bordeaux wine to the pan juices, and cooked until it was reduced by half. I added a couple tablespoons of blackberry cobbler filling to make a glaze - very tasty.

If you want more smoke, add your meat cold from the fridge, so it can have more time to develop the nice pink ring. You will pick up plenty of flavor if you keep the smoke on it for an hour, even when using higher temps.

Re: LEAN PORK

Tell me Jasen, the lean pork which you cook very hot and very fast, is that

marinated, rubbed, direct or indirect and are you using wood for smoke. I did a pork loin last Monday that I marinated, rubbed, slow cooked at 230

with hickory smoke. Turned out quite good, flavorful and tender but could have been a little more moist. I suppose I could baste half way thru but that is work, that is why I would like more details of your technique.

Anytime I do lean meats it is always direct. Usually do not bother adding too much smoke wood on a fast cook. Marinated sometimes, different rubs other times.

-=Jasen=-