stevemurphy4

Who's your daddy!!!!

Update?

Hey, Steve! What's with the silence? You fall into your new cooker and can't get out? Or are you hypnotized by pork fat, and cannot remember how to come back to the forum to brag to us about your successes?

Either way, we want to hear. :)

We're creepy voyeurs, we are... lol.

OK...OK....!

ribs are pretty cheap right now and did some 3 1/2 under at 275 for 4 hours..... used a rub from Penzeys spices and they were great!!! Smoked with pecan wood!!

Jusy bought a whole brisket and am going to put it on this evening.

Any suggestions as to how long to leave on??

Steve

Re: OK...OK....!

Any suggestions as to how long to leave on??
Um... I'd say til it's cooked. But not much more than that. ;)

Alas, I'm un-brisketed as yet. :)

Sounds like the ribs went over well. What does it mean 3 1/2 under? Do you mean you did 3 1/2 racks at a temp under 275? Or on the lower grill at 275? Oh my - head is spinning. :)

Do you mop AND rub, or just rub? Inquiring minds, you know...

Pork butts are forgiving, but briskets are ornery. Shoot for 1.5 hours per pound at 220F, with an internal temp of 185-190F. You want a slight tug on each slice to pull it apart (think perfect pot roast), and not mushy fibers. Wrap and rest in a warm cooler for one to two hours. The WSM forum has a good tutorial on trimming. Don't forget to "mark" the grain with a notched cut before cooking, so you have a guide for slicing your blackened beast.

The fat content and the toughness of the meat varies greatly from animal to animal, even within USDA grades.

I don't inject butt or poultry, but I find brisket profits from injecting a high quality beef stock with a touch of worcestershire.