paul1927

Whole Red Snapper

Ingredients:

1. A 2 LB Red Snapper

Preparation:

First, stabilize the temperature of the Q at about 700 degrees. I used Royal Oak 100% Natural Wood Charcoal ($5.27 for 10 lbs), but I assume any charcoal will do. The coals were white and glowing red with almost NO flame by the time it had stabilized around 700 degrees.

Next, take a sharp knife and gut snapper (if it hasn't already been done) and then rinse snapper whether it needed gutting or not. At this point snapper should be at room temperature (neither warm nor cold). Pre-Q preparation is now complete i.e. leave on head, scales, fins, tail, etc.

Now is time to get good use of the Q. Place snapper in the center of Q and close top. After about 7 minutes flip snapper over and again close the top. After another 7 minutes rescue snapper from Q so it doesn't overburn.

Finally, eat/serve what hopefully will be a mouthwatering snapper.

So do you use any seasoning on this or just cook it plain? I have some Halibut and Mahi Mahi in the freezer I plain on cooking soon and need some recipe suggestions.

About the only thing I know about cooking fish on the grill is leave it alone till it releases from the grate, otherwise you will tear the flesh.

-=Jasen=-

I just cook it plain. The only times I get into seasoning is if I know the person I'm cooking for, or I'm checking out a new flavor for myself, or if it I'm trying for some type of ethnic flaor, or lastly it is somebody else's recipe.

Now after it is cooked . . . some combination of fresh pressed garlic or granulated shaken straight from container, virgin olive oil, fresh chopped parsley, butter, hot peppers, tomato paste.

My favorite is almost a side dish err a bed for the fish to lay on of fresh chopped parsley mixed with fresh chopped onions. When my Dad saw that the first time he threw a mini hissy fit. Saying he wasn't going to eat it. That parsley is only supposed to be for decoration. He even got up to dump it the trash! And, would have but I started talking, saying--- remember the old rule about try it first and then throw it? At that point he didn't know whether to sit and try or throw it away. So, I pulled out the heavy guns of waste not want not/the starving children of India. Reluctantly he sat down and informed me that he wasn't going to like it and to never make it again. With that he scrunched up his face and unhappily took a bite. LOL, he LOVED it and then was asking me for it with other dishes and asking why I didn't make it more often. I explained that 1) I'm fairly cheap and have been trained to watch the pennies so I wait for a deal, 2) I'm lazy and don't like to wash the parsley and don't like to chop and mix parsley and onions. He didn't like either answer and I knew he wouldn't. :lol:

So do you use any seasoning on this or just cook it plain? I have some Halibut and Mahi Mahi in the freezer I plain on cooking soon and need some recipe suggestions.

About the only thing I know about cooking fish on the grill is leave it alone till it releases from the grate, otherwise you will tear the flesh.

-=Jasen=-

Can't do much seasoning with skin on I reckon :shock:

-=Jasen=-

So I guess the big open cavity where the guts used to be is not conducive to being seasoned? Say lemon, orange or perhaps some oil, pepper and garlic?

-=Jasen=-

-=Jasen=-

Injector? Marinate?

-=Jasen=-

Injector? Marinate?

Only thing I do on my salmon is a dry rub (no skin, mind you) and high heat. It's like blackened salmon...good stuff.

-=Jasen=-

So I guess the big open cavity where the guts used to be is not conducive to being seasoned?

-=Jasen=-[/quote:2allu5mh]

Sounds like an even better idea than injecting or marinating. Instead of Turkey stuffing it would be some type of Red Snapper stuffing. My Dad really enjoyed stuffed crabs/clams from Costco. It basically was a seafood stuffing that was sorta like a Turkey stuffing.

-=Jasen=-

Injector? Marinate?

Only thing I do on my salmon is a dry rub (no skin, mind you) and high heat. It's like blackened salmon...good stuff.

Sounds like you need to be sharing a recipe. Especially now that you know the drill. :D

Blackened can be delicious. The neighbor child didn't trust me on that one until he tried some burnt peanuts. He definitely thought burnt tasted a lot better.