YoCar

Lump Charcoal - What to use?

Good idea, though the three people I know with eggs all use briquettes...

I have been checking around, and got a bag of cowboy at lowes (it is an eight+ pound bag, and cost 4.95. I found a huge supply of Lazzari mesqite at a local restaurant supply, but they don't (and won't) carry any other variety. I'm working my way back up that chain, may just have to special order a pallet!

So now I have a bag of BGE, a smaller bag of cowboy, and an even smaller bag of the mesquite for doing some steaks. First cook will be three racks of spareribs on Monday!!

Thanks again, all,

Mike

Good idea, though the three people I know with eggs all use briquettes...

I have been checking around, and got a bag of cowboy at lowes (it is an eight+ pound bag, and cost 4.95. I found a huge supply of Lazzari mesqite at a local restaurant supply, but they don't (and won't) carry any other variety. I'm working my way back up that chain, may just have to special order a pallet!

So now I have a bag of BGE, a smaller bag of cowboy, and an even smaller bag of the mesquite for doing some steaks. First cook will be three racks of spareribs on Monday!!

Thanks again, all,

Mike

What size was the lazarri? The foodserve bags we get a huge. 40 pounds and stand waste high?

Thats how we found the deal on the lazarri too, I was getting it from a relative who worked at the local produce distributor, and they carried it for a few restaurants.

If you can get the mesquite cheal, dont be afraid to try it on other cooks too. I use it as a multi purpose fuel...low/slow, sear, roast, etc.

As efficient as your KK is, that enough lump for weeks - get cooking and we expect pictures!

They had two pallets of the 40#, and a dozen or so five pound bags. I bought one of the small ones, because I've always felt that mesquite was a bit much for pigs and birds, which I cook a lot more often than I do cows. I will cross-test one of these days soon, though.

My thermometer came today, so I'm pretty much ready to rip!

Mike