YoCar

Lump Charcoal - What to use?

Hi to everyone - just unpacked our komodo yesterday and we are excited. We live in Richland, Washington and are interested in buying a pallet (60 22lb bags) of Wicked Good Charcoal. Pallet and delivery works out to be $15.22 perbag (not sure about sales tax). I have one person to share. is anybody out there in our area and interested in sharing?

Thanks...YoCar

I'd start by reading up on TNW's site - he's got great reviews and the best collection in one place on the net. As far as what to buy, I try to stay local when I can. For now that means Cowboy for me but I'm still looking (and I've got time since I've only got a tin can to grill on now). If I were to order a pallet I'd certainly consider Dennis' lump (high temp) and extruded (low and slow), but Wicked Good and Royal Oak are also good stuff.

I use Royal Oak as it can be found at most of our local Walmart stores and is a good charcoal to boot!

I finally made it across route 9 to Wally World (I'm a Target man - closer and cleaner). Not a chunk of lump in sight here in Joisey I'm afraid. You guessed correctly on the Cowboy - I get it from Lowes and it's better than briquettes. Even my Weber Kettle can suffocate it to death, the Kingsford briquettes burned down to nothing even with little/no O2.

No lump of any sort to be found at the WalMart Supercenter in the Seattle area, either.

Looks like the only readily available products here are Cowboy at Lowes and BGE at the BGE dealer for a dollar a pound.

Looked into freight for a pallet of Royal Oak - ouch! twice the cost of the charcoal to ship it!

Give these guys a try, they are based in San Fran, and have a distribution centers around the us.

http://lazzari.com/

We get ours directly at the Orlando distribution center for $12 a bag (40#) You may be able to get it shipped a little cheaper if they are closer than New England.

BTW, that was the same price i got for a pallet of wicked good shipped to Orlando.

Dont be afraid to give the cowboy a shot. Yes, its lumber scrap, but its priced accordingly and cooks just fine. You may find that you dont mind the cowboy for the price and convenience :)

Seven bucks?!? Maybe you better shop around :P

I think its about $5 here for a 10# bag. Curly says he gets it for about $3.50.

I used it for an overnight pork butt cook not long ago, just because I had a bag and I was cleaning out the garage. It was not as dense as the designer lumps, but it lasted 19 hours no problem, and there was still some left in there when I pulled the butts. I estimate I put about 5 pounds in the cooker for that cook.

Since its not very dense, you get what looks like alot of bulk for your $7. come to think of it, I think the bags are the size of normal 10# bags, but are labeled as 8#.

It burned clean, no smoke, or funky flavors. Just keep an eye out for anything that is obviously plywood and pitch it if you are concerned about the glues. (My bag didnt have any in it)

I believe that these claim to be 20# bags that Lowes has.

I guess US charcoal will always be more expensive up here in the top left corner, because retailers have to freight it too.

What I'm finding frustrating is the almost total lack of choice.

I took a look at the link you provided, and will be contacting them. Maybe I can set up a virtual restaurant!

WalMart had lots of charcoal - five different brands of briquettes, but no lump at all.

I think that they stock geographically. I specifically asked for "lump charcoal" and "real wood charcoal". They looked at me like I was from Mars when I made the first request, and then led me to a tiny bag of smoking chips when I made the second one. The search goes on...

My WalMart is the same as yours, briquettes galore but no lump. I'm not 100% positive but I don't think my Lowes carried Cowboy until this summer (early in the summer it wasn't around, I didn't know to look last year). If you've got a local hardware store they may be able to order some for you. You can also check out to find a BGE Dealer. Worst case, you can also make your own. :)

walmart isnt great about stocking or displaying RO lump even if they have it. get the UPC off TNW's site and take it to the manager. if they have it somewhere "in back" they'll bring it up for you. i've done this many times. even after "bbq season"; they will store unsold inventory off the floor.

The Labor Day post above reminded me, someone found Kirkland lump at Costco. Mine doesn't have it so I'm not hopeful for yours, but you can try BJs and Sams as well. They'll usually let you in to look around without a card so you don't need to buy a membership.