Saucier

Authentic Texas Border Chili

4 lbs beef shank

1 lb chorizo

5 bell peppers

4 bunches green onion

5 serrano chiles

6 Tbl cominos whole(roast in pan and crush into powder)

1 as much garlic as you want

4 Tbl paprika

4 Tbl chile powder

12 oz tomato sauce (canned or see other recipe)

For tomato sauce

3 ripe tomatoes

1 beefsteak onion

2 t paprika

1 t minced garlic

Cut meat into 1/2" cubes. Be sure and get all the meat, this may become tough after awhile, but you need it all. A sharp knife is a necessity.

Cut Bell peppers in 1/4" cubes. Use only the dark green meat. Should make about 1.5 cups.

Cut onions in 1/4" slices all the way up the stam, to include 1.5" of the green. Be sure to remove the weathered outer surface and any beat up green stems before slicing. Cut enough to make 1.5 cups

Cut chili serranso into the smallest cubes you can make. Cut enough to make 1 tsp

Pour tomato sacue into 2 qt sauce pan and simmer on low heat.

Add cubed beef shank to sauce. Avoid browning meat beforehand. It will cook up OK and absorbs more flavor this way.

In a separate pan, Sauté onions, bell pepper and chili serranso with the chorizo. Sprinkle garlic salt on top.

Things should be smelling PRETTY GOOD NOW!!! Add all spices (chile powder, paprika, and cominos) to the sauce pan

Add enough water or beer or whatever to cover the ingredients, turn to medium heat and WAIT

Seeing as you have plenty of time (4-6 hours) you can be stirring frequently to keep things from sticking together ... and to occupy yourself!

For the sauce.. Chop onion into smallest cub es you can make. Parboil tomatoes, peel and remove the core.

Put all ingredients in blender and blend well. Use only 12 oz in the chile!

Although many people belive that begetables don't belong in Texas Chile, remember... Back on the range, it was much easier to come up with a FRESH chile pepper, then it was a can of chile powder!

Buy S. Huddleston III, Brownsville TX

Servings - --

PreHeat -

Prep Time -

Cooking Time -

Difficulty -

Source - Viva Chile!-

Beverage -

Nutrition Info -

Recipe Notes - Substitute leftover smoker meat (brisket, sirloin, chuck, pulled pork etc) for the beef shanks. If so then don't add the meat until the end.

Also, I do the saute in a large skillet, but do the cook in a crock pot, just leave it on low burner all night, and spoon off any grease that may have accumulated on the top.

I also added 4 Anaheims and about 10 jalapenos instead of the serranos. I roasted them, and then peeled and seed them and chopped them up fine for the additioinal roasty chili flavor. I used 2 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (sorry DJ) and some chix stock for the liquid. Also used some nice fresh chili powder that we got right from the gettin place in New Mexico on our way through there last time. They also had jalapeno powder!

Enjoy!

aV11nFQ9.jpg

Re: Authentic Texas Border Chili

I used 2 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (sorry DJ) and some chix stock for the liquid.

Nice sounding recipe! BTW, if you are gonna add beer or wine to anything, best be something worth drinking (and it was in this case). A wise person once said, if you won't drink it, don't cook with it either!

-=Jasen=-

Re: Authentic Texas Border Chili

A wise person once said, if you won't drink it, don't cook with it either!

-=Jasen=-

I think one of my favorite tv chefs, Justin Wilson said, "I love cookin wit wine an somtimes I even put some in dem food"!

It is a good recipe, I let mine go in the crock pot all night, woke up to the whole house smelling like a nice pot of deep roasted chili!!

Scrambled up some eggs, and put a scoop of hot chili right on top.

Now dat good, I gar-on-tee!