ThreeDJ16

Blackened Skirt Steak Salad

Man, this was outstanding! Last night I seared some skirt steak in which I blackened with Fresh Market Cajun season (highly recommend - not in the pre-package section, but the section in which they package spices in bags). Then I made up my own version of creamy raspberry Parmesan vinaigrette dressing. All I can say was wow. Usually I am not much of a salad person, but this could change my mind.

-=Jasen=-

I actually like this season over the Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom - now that is saying something!

dscn1442mediumwn1.jpg

Was that blackened on the sear grill, or on a skillet?

I have a cast iron skillet that I havent used in a decade buried in the garage. I want to resurface and reseason it for use on the KK, mainly for blackening/searing stuff. I love a cast iron seared fillet :D

I have an old fajita skillet I use for that purpose (does well on the sear grill too), but no, this was flame sear blackened. It turns out pretty darn similar. BTW, I don't see much need to season a pan for blackening as the first use is going to destroy the season (though naturally keep it oiled - I use mineral oil for a cutting board).

-=Jasen=-

I mixed my mineral oil with beeswax, so the board wouldnt be so slimey. Probably shouldnt use that on my pan, or i would have a cast iron candle :D

I have to sand my skillet down (unless you want to come sand blast it for me :o ) It has some rust on the inside where it must have gotten wet.

Hmmm, for under $10 you can get a nice Lodge skillet from Walmart - don't think I would be sanding anything!!

BTW, slimy board? I use pure mineral oil and do not have that issue with my butcher's block (oil soaks right in).

-=Jasen=-

derusting CI stuff is simple:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/ ... usting.htm

For 'sanding' my skillets, I just use kosher salt.

Say DJ - nice hotsauce collection. See a couple of my faves there, I do!

dub(tried the Sweet Tabasco yet?)

Very cool way of doing it (though it still hard to beat the ease of Walmart).

Thanks, just of few of many hot sauces! Mo hotter, mo better. I must admit, that Parrot Head in the pic is probably in my picks on favorites. It is damn (really damn) hot, but very flavorful.

-=Jasen=-