Nator

Ribs?

!!!

Curly, in the past, I always did my ribs, shoulders and boston butts at 225 - that was my standard. But it never made what I considered the perfect cook (based on foods I grew up on). I am used to pit cooked. I come from a family of BBQers and pit cooking was always the prefered method as well as most of our local BBQ restaurants. Well, I am lazy and pit cooking is a lot of work. I have always tried to find a compromise that simulates pit cooking but with convienence for me :wink: . Pit cooking method does change the flavor and most importantly for me, the texture. So the method I finally ended up with that gives me what I perceive to taste like pit cooking is direct heat (naturally), but slightly higher temps than for traditional smoke cooking (I use 235-245). Pit cooking is milder on the smoke, it has a more chewy texture (firm) than indirect smoked and crispy outside meat (so you can cook at higher temps with acceptable results). Also, a heavy salt and vinegar baste is a must for pit cooking. Chicken it great with this method too. If anyone else likes pit cooked and has a method, please share it with me as I love to try new cooking techniques.

-=Jasen=-

Maybe that has been my problem I have actually taken them off too early and not let the connective tissue break down and that is why they were tough. I will try this again and see what happens. It may be my first cook on my new OTB. Thanks for the insight.

Tony

I've made this mistake too. Heck I almost made it on the ribs I won with 2 weeks ago. Porkchop's cooler head prevailed and he advised I leave them on. I was worried cause I was cooking on a BGE (not as familiar with it) and I couldn't get the temp below 275 for much of the cooking time. Alas they turned out great in 4.5 hours. They might have gone for 5 or a little longer if I'd cooked 'em at 225. The best rule is to go by appearance rather than time. If they aren't really tender yet, don't pull them out. I've had ribs I've taken off the grill and they've "broken" in the middle on the way to the plate. They were some mighty fine ribs, let me tell ya.

I got lucky on some ribs a few weeks ago at the competition, but basically I had 3 racks of spares rubbed overnight and left in the fridge. Didn't bother to pull the membrane as it was taking too much meat off with it. Cooked indirect for 4.5 hours at 250-300, no spraying or mopping. The last 30 minutes or so I basted with Chef Juke's Raspberry Chipotle sauce. This sauce has been known to convert non-believers (ask Porkchop).

Thank you so much for this recipe. The rasperry chipotle sauce is the absolute killer. Yesterday I did some ribs for 4.5 hours with 250 (last 30 minutes with the sauce) and this were definitetly the best ribs I ever had!