Jim Malter

Frozen Lid

Help-

We have had snow, then rain and now snow with a temperature drop of nearly 40 degress in 8 h! This morning I could not open the lid of the KK after releasing the latch. The dome is moving and I can put in the gas attachment. Does anyone think enough heat will escape to melt what I assume to be ice between the lid and the bottom if I leave on the gas for a while?

Jim

Jim it does not take much to thaw it. Even a candle would do it. Two quick choices are a little heat inside from the draft door or a blow dryer on the outside.

Wife is smarter than me. She suggested boiling water. Poured over lid, opened in 3 seconds.

Supposedly a sister-in-law bought a cover for me for X-Mas.

Jim

Jim it does not take much to thaw it. Even a candle would do it. Two quick choices are a little heat inside from the draft door or a blow dryer on the outside.

Wife is smarter than me. She suggested boiling water. Poured over lid, opened in 3 seconds.

Supposedly a sister-in-law bought a cover for me for X-Mas.

Jim[/quote:22gapd1p]

im not sure of how the KK materials can handle this, but in many other materials it would lead to the dome cracking

I don't know how suspect the KK material is to thermal shock but room temperature water (or even slightly above freezing water) should also work. You were good not to force it, though - if the damper was frozen you may have damaged the gasket by forcing it (although even this would have been a fairly easy repair).