DMAX

Greetings! I just placed my order.

Greetings! I just placed my order. Literally this morning, Dennis called me from Indonesia and she's on her way from CA. I'm in Oakton Va, but I have an office in Dunkirk. Not far from you guys. Was wondering where you've found the best lump charcoal. I was about to order some along with smoking chucks from a place in NJ, Horizon BBQ I think it was. Have you found any good local resources?

DMAX

Hey DMAX! Welcome to the pool! :)

There's probably a lump source thread around here somewhere.

Some folks order from a distance, but shipping gets expensive. Walmart sells Royal Oak (I think) in season. ACE hardware stores sell Cowboy lump year round. BGE sells its own brand (relabeled Royal Oak, I think). BGE lump is available at Patio Stores and similar places that retail the BGE (big green egg brand of cooker).

To find out what people think of various types of lump, go to Whizzy's website and look around. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Our Whizzy knows EVERYTHING! :)

Thanks Sanny! I did check out some of the reviews on Whizzy's site. I figured I'd better find out what was available before I look up whether or not it's any good. Actually, there was some "competition" brand that looked really promising. Horizon BBQ in Jersey has lump charcoal and wood that sound s good, just hope to not have to ship. I should have my KK by Monday, so I only have a short window to prepare for the neighbor hood rib competition on Super Bowl Sunday and all I've used in the past was just wood in a Brinkman Smok'n Pit. I actually selected the KK over a six foot long Pitts and Spitts, but now I have to get it working the way I want (once it arrives!). I do have to travel to NJ next week, so I can probably just go to Horizon if need be.

DMAX

No need to pay shipping ...

I'm on the eastern shore and I either buy the lump at Walmart or True Value hardware store, or even our lumber yard sells it. The problem you always have is finding a consistant good brand so Walmart is your best local bet. Smoking chunks can be found in the grocery store or you know ....any where! Welcome to the expanding waist line forum!

John

Welcome DMAX. If you're talking Dunkirk Md, i am about 45 minutes away, at Pax River. I have just been buying lump charcoal at Tru Value and Lowes, haven't even gotten to Wal Mart yet. But...... as for smoking woods, there's a great guy almost on the way to your office, near Waldorf. There's a guy who sells firewood on the south side of Md 228, half way between 210 and Waldorf. He sells hickory, apple, cherry, mulberry (he sez some folks swear by it) and several other woods. if you need better directions i can pass them on. Tom

Welcome DMAX. If you're talking Dunkirk Md' date=' i am about 45 minutes away, at Pax River. I have just been buying lump charcoal at Tru Value and Lowes, haven't even gotten to Wal Mart yet. But...... as for smoking woods, there's a great guy almost on the way to your office, near Waldorf. There's a guy who sells firewood on the south side of Md 228, half way between 210 and Waldorf. He sells hickory, apple, cherry, mulberry (he sez some folks swear by it) and several other woods. if you need better directions i can pass them on. Tom[/quote']

Thanks Tom! Yes, Dunkirk in Calvert is one of my office locations and I actually used to live there. We do work periodically at PAX River, too. I work from there every other week, so I should be able to swing through Charles and try and find the wood guy.

Fot the time being, I'm picking up some hickory and oak and cherry from BBQ's Galore.

DMAX