SurfFire

Grill Configuration

Hi, I just got my KK and am building a special patio extension for the baby. However in looking at the Upper Grill, Lower Grill and the "other" grill I'm curious about various grill configurations. For example ideally when grilling a pizza on a stone it would be nice to have the grill exactly at dome opening height for easy peel removal, how is that height best configured? Also let's say I want grill using upper and lower grill for temp variation, what would that look like?

Does anybody have pics showing how they setup their grill for various grilling, smoking methods?

A pic showing the charcoal basket and everything above would do me good to understand best setups relating to methods of cooking.

Thanks, Ron

Re: Grill Configuration

Hi' date=' I just got my KK and am building a special patio extension for the baby. However in looking at the Upper Grill, Lower Grill and the "other" grill I'm curious about various grill configurations. For example ideally when grilling a pizza on a stone it would be nice to have the grill exactly at dome opening height for easy peel removal, how is that height best configured? [/quote']

For pizza I recommend using the stone on the upper grill on the main grill.

This brings the pizza closer to the ceiling of your Komodo and the reflective heat will cook your pizza more quickly and evenly.

Also let's say I want grill using upper and lower grill for temp variation' date=' what would that look like? [/quote']

Are you talking about indirect or direct cooking here?

The lower grill direct is basically for searing because of the proximity to the coals and most of the time, you're not spending much time down there.

While direct cooking temp variation is usually achieved between on the main and upper grill.

Does anybody have pics showing how they setup their grill for various grilling' date=' smoking methods?[/quote']

For high temp searing/carbonizing, I use my upper inverted sitting down on the firebox. 20-40 seconds per side at 650-800ºf. Use long gloves..

I then pull and rest them 10 minutes and drop in the main grill and I shut down the cooker to about 325º and and finish them on it.

If I want to only use the main grill, I have the meat ready to put in as the cooker does it's initial climb to 650º. I throw them in for maybe two minutes per side and close it down. I don't wait/or want the body to get heat soaked. This way it's easier/faster to dial it back to 325º.

If I'm cooking indirect, I use the deflector and drip pan if necessary using all three grills to fill it up.

A pic showing the charcoal basket and everything above would do me good to understand best setups relating to methods of cooking.

I'll take them tomorrow for you (and the manual)

Grill Configuration

Thanks Dennis, you know some video would be useful for those of us trying to understand how to really use the KK. Maybe some KK vets would like to contribute??

For example I'm not really sure of the proper placement of all three grills, drip pan and deflector. Kind of a new paradigm.

Regards, Ron

Sounds like a job for YouTube!

Thanks Dennis, you know some video would be useful for those of us trying to understand how to really use the KK. Maybe some KK vets would like to contribute??

For example I'm not really sure of the proper placement of all three grills, drip pan and deflector. Kind of a new paradigm.

Regards, Ron

Sounds like a job for YouTube!

But I'll work on the still un-finished the owners manual first.

Gotta drag that up closer to the top of the pile..

OTB Components

Regards, Ron

GenIIComponents.jpg

GenGrills.jpg

Not exactly what you asked for but I'm cutting up a cooker to show what's going on inside but this should hold you over..

The charcoal basket drops into the firebox with the handles left and right. If it wobbles turn it around it only fits one way. Then the heat deflector sits on the tall charcoal baskets handles. The drip pan sits on that and then the grills..