PrimoSand

Guru FANS on a KK

Can any KK owners that use a Guru w/ a blower fan out there answer this question :

I KK my pork shoulders at 225 degrees until they hit my desired internal temp. To maintain this 225 degrees I have to almost completely shut the top vent and have just a tiny sliver of an opening in the bottom vent. (very, very small amount of air needed)

So my question is ..... with the need for such a ridiculously small amount of air needed to maintain this low dome temp. wouldn't a Guru electronic blower even with the fan always off be too much air to maintain the desired 225 degrees for low and slow cooking?

I will ask the Guru people this question if I do decide to pony up $650 plus for their ProCom or $225 for their DigiQ ll but I'd sure like to hear it from some of you folks first.

thanks is advance for your help.

jeff

Re: Guru FANS on a KK

So my question is ..... with the need for such a ridiculously small amount of air needed to maintain this low dome temp. wouldn't a Guru electronic blower even with the fan always off be too much air to maintain the desired 225 degrees for low and slow cooking?

thanks is advance for your help.

jeff

Nope. They work great and can maintain temps way lower than 225. When using the Guru, the trick is to let the Guru do all the work. You do not want any draft through the grill other than from the Guru fan. You accomplish this by completely sealing the bottom damper and almost close off the top (even tighter than your normal cook). I usually spin my damper from a turn or two open and let it seal as tight as the centrifugal force will set it, then open back up about a tile or two (depending on your gasket wear). If the Guru needs more air through the KK it will force it out somewhere else.

I have a Procom and a DigiQ II; think they are both great. But I would not trade my Procom for anything unless they come out with a new version. If you are an electronics geek, you can build my lid open equalization timer for the Procom (plans on the forum...just search).

-=Jasen=-

Procomm

Primo, I have a procomm, and really like it, except the range is not anything like they say it is.

Bit it is nice to be able to make changes remotely on the cooker indeed, comes in right handy, and like DJ says, you want bottom closed all the way and top pretty well shut.

If you cant hold your low temp you need to crank the top shut a bit more, and if you cant get it up to temp, open it up just a bit.

Another thing not clearly pointed out is how much lump you can put in the KK. I thought you just could fill the metal basket, but if you are doing a low and slow, you can fill it just about to the top of the basket handles where you put your diffuser. You can get a right long cook out of that bad boy!

Re: Procomm

Primo' date=' I have a procomm, and really like it, except the range is not anything like they say it is. [/quote']

As I mentioned in another post here, structural interference is always going to cut RF signals. And other electronics can also step on it's frequency, but should not happen to often unless you have a old 900mHz phone. The range they list is open air line of sight. Naturally they cannot list the range that everyone will get at their house since it will be different for everyone. Concrete or brick structures will be less than wood and metal structures even shorter.

-=Jasen=-