paul1927

Easier than thought to move the Q

I was shocked that Rita just using a standard hand truck and some boards was easily able to move the Q to her backyard. She said it was a 10 minute job with the hard part just moving the boards to create a path thru the lawn.

Now, uncrating was a whole 'nother story. She quit before she began and called me for help. Dennis not only improved the Q, but the crating underwent improvement too. That was about a half hour job for me, but then I didn't have my normal complement of tools nearby.

In retrospect she thinks it was funny that she planned on hiring some big guys to move it for her. Given that she moved it so easily with just a hand truck, I'm wondering if a lift gate is truly necessary.

Re: Easier than thought to move the Q

...Given that she moved it so easily with just a hand truck' date=' I'm wondering if a lift gate is truly necessary.[/quote']Moving on the flat, using a wheeled thingy is a WAY different animal from taking a bazillion pound cooker off a truck, from 4 feet in the air. Unless you've mastered levitation, I'd not recommend it. (wingardium leviosa!)

...Given that she moved it so easily with just a hand truck' date=' I'm wondering if a lift gate is truly necessary.[/quote']Moving on the flat, using a wheeled thingy is a WAY different animal from taking a bazillion pound cooker off a truck, from 4 feet in the air. Unless you've mastered levitation, I'd not recommend it. (wingardium leviosa!)

Unless he is thinking about using a ramp to roll the Q out of the Truck. I rolled a pretty heavy desk out of a U-Haul with a hand truck, but the truck had a metal ramp, not boards. Don't know if boards would hold that much weight without support under them.

A ramp should do the job. I'd love to try! :)

Uh huh.... Better be a long low ramp. That's a HUGE amount of weight to let go like a roller coaster on steep decline! Pity the person on the bottom, guiding it! Or on the top, for that matter, trying to keep it from careening into the street.

I'm picturing Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, or Keystone Cops here. Ok, so they've got a piano, instead, but still....

Uh huh.... Better be a long low ramp. That's a HUGE amount of weight to let go like a roller coaster on steep decline! Pity the person on the bottom, guiding it! Or on the top, for that matter, trying to keep it from careening into the street.

I'm picturing Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, or Keystone Cops here. Ok, so they've got a piano, instead, but still....

I'm picturing my boss unloading his new ride on mower. He was in the bed of the truck, his wife behind the tractor. It ran her over. :eek:

Nice bruise.

But the ramp held !!!