Firemonkey

Grilled fish tacos

Had some good looking fresh tuna steaks on sale at the local market. After I brought it home, I was in the mood for something a little different so I tuned it into tacos!

Normally, I would use something like Mahi for fish tacos, but these were really tasty. The marinade and the addition of some sweet fruit makes these really good.

Here is the marinade for the fish:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons vinegar (I used rice, because I was out of white)

2 tablespoons lime juice

zest from one lime

1-2 teaspoons honey

2 cloves garlic

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon Old Bay

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon hot sauce

Marinate the fish for a few hours, depending on how delicate the fish you are using is. I marinated this tuna for about 4 hours.

Prepare some fresh Pico. I like to keep it simple here:

onion

tomato (I used grape tomatoes)

a little jalapeno (no seed or membranes)

green pepper

cilantro

a splash of lime juice

Finely chop everything, mix it together, and let it rest for a couple hours.

I made a white sauce with sour cream, and added:

lime - cumin - hot sauce - old bay - chipotle flakes and a little adobo sauce from a can of chipotles

After marinating the fish, skewer it up and grill it. I also grilled some pineapple chunks (would also be good with mango or papaya) and tomatoes to go along with it. Once everything is done, flake the fish into smaller pieces, and assemble into tacos.

Ready to cook:

dscn2469yu9.jpg

Ready to assemble:

dscn2470fp3.jpg

Ready to eat!

dscn2471mi0.jpg

Thats a long commute, but you can come by whenever you want. Im only home on weekends and in the heat of the summer, though :o

I suspect you can get some mighty fine fish tacos right where you are! You dont find them on many menus in this part of the country though, which is too bad.

Im doing some fishing in the Atlantic this weekend. Maybe I can snatch-up a fat catch and we will have a regular fiesta! :mexican: