Baby Huey

KomodoKamado on its way to Bama

Hello everybody,

Looking over what I wrote below, I realize that it may be a tad long-winded for some. For this reason I have created an outline of what I have said below for those that are topic skimmers. ;)

1) Saw a friends BGE and wanted one.

2) Started to research ceramic cookers and almost bought Kamado.

3) Wanted to buy KomodoKamado but it's $$$

4) Decided to save $$$

5) Returned Lost Inventory Sale --> 2006 Supreme Classic on its way!

I have been a lurker on these forums for the past few months and have learned quite a bit about ceramic cooking thanks to the wealth of knowledge of the people here. Like many of us here, my first experience with ceramic cookers was seeing a friends BGE. Naturally, I decided I needed one and began to research them. Early into said research I came across the Kamado and thought about buying one during their Christmas sale, boy am I glad I didn't pull the trigger on that! After reading all of the horror stories I quickly ruled out the Kamado and became committed to buying a KomodoKamado; however, I encountered a serious case of sticker shock. I have always been a gasser and had no idea that charcoal grills could be so expensive. I considered just going with the BGE since it was so much less expensive, but after a significant amount of thought I decided that I would rather save my money for what I really want instead of settling for what I wouldn't be 100% satisfied with. I'm glad I waited because thanks to the "Returned Lost Inventory Sale" I am the new owner of a brand new 2006 Supreme Classic with Cobalt tiles! I know that it doesn't exist until I post pictures, and I will just as soon as it arrives (I just sent the payment a few minutes ago so it's going to be just a bit). I look forward to being a part of this wonderful community.

-Ben

Congratulations and welcome to the KK Club. I have two buddies at work who have BGE's, they are the reason I got interested in ceramics as well. You will not find a better grill than the Komodo.

The best part of buying my Komodo was the look on the face of one of those buddies who came over to help me move it to my patio. Lets just say he had a misconception of its size. Little case of Grill Envy? hehehe

Enjoy!! Bob.

Looks like my KK should arrive by Thursday, I can't wait! I have gone ahead and ordered some rubs from Dizzy Pig:

• Dizzy Dust
    Tsunami Spin
    Swamp Venom
    Raising the Steaks
    Cow Lick

There are not a lot of places around here that I have seen lump sold; however, there is a BGE dealer close that I can get some BGE brand lump from. Do you guys mail order your lump? I know that the Naked Whiz has lots of wonderful reviews, but I don't have the stores around that he got them from. I would love to hear what people here recommend in this regard.

-Ben

Hi BH,

As you might recall, I have not received my KK yet either, but it should be here by the first week of July or so.

As far as lump goes, if you have a Walmart nearby, you should probably go with that. They carry the Royal Oak brand, and it is rated and reviewed fairly well on Naked Whiz's site, as well as elsewhere.

The problem with mail order or online ordering are the shipping costs-=--they'll just kill your overall costs.

-Ron

Thanks Naldo and Drunk_J, Wally World Royal Oak sounds like a winner!

Naldo, the first week of July is not very far away. Hopefully you will get it in time for some 4th of July cooking. I'm having my KK shipped to a terminal and I have a couple of friends lined up to help me get it out of the truck. They are computer programmers [read not very strong] so I'm sure it's going to be a bit of a chore. If all goes well I'll be grilling something a week from this moment!

-Ben

Well, Ben, that would be cool--to be cooking in about a week, I mean! Yeah, the whole getting her set-up thing is not something I'm looking forward to, but I remember moving my old K and it was not so terrible. As you long as you have enough people and the right tools to help out (2x4s to loop through the provided legs for lifting), it should go okay. The guys don't need to be too strong, just careful and enough of them. If I were you, I might shoot for one more friend--totaling 4 people including you. That should guarantee no errors or problems.

Hopefully you've seen the threads in the KK 411 section that talk about uncrating, moving, etc.

As far as me, when I spoke to Dennis about a week or so ago, he wasn't sure I'd get it by the 4th, but we're trying.

By the way, did he send you a waybill number (tracking number) for the KK? How is that handled, do you know?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Yes I have seen the information about moving the KK in the 411 section, thanks for the heads up though. As far as tracking goes, Dennis did send me a tracking number from Roadrunner Transportation Services. Dennis also wanted my cell phone so that they [transportation company] can get in touch with me. Fingers still crossed for Thursday :D