johnnyboy

Johnnyboy's Outdoor Cooking Area

I've missed a bit here; but just caught up.

Great job in fact; DJ.

I've been watching and enjoying all the collaboration/suggestions. Partially because I have a similar situation with a fireplace I'm building. I'd like a add a grill to it. (Dennis, need you to build one to specs for me, rectangle; are you willing?)

The fireplace is in fact designed for a grill, I just don't like the way the model I'm copying has it. They've attached angle iron around three sides of the firebox for a grill to slide on. What I don't like is when the grill is out the angle iron is still there.

I was thinking along the lines of FireMonkey suggestion.

Another idea...

You drill two matching holes in the side of the grill, and then you just insert the two reulting pins (longer crossbars) into the holes. Make sense? Think of inserting the left side into the holes, and dropping the right side down into place. Would not be able to slide fore or aft, and removal is just lifting out by the unattached side.

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

I was also thinking an end iron with pig tail arm that swings into and out of the fire. Like the Wagon Days. Besides hanging pots I believe the old timers also hung grills on them.

Here's a photo of my un-finished project. You'll notice a 4" thick limestone ledge that goes all the way around the firebox. Just a few inches under that is where the original design had the angle iron mounted.

102_1215.jpg

102_1212.jpg

Now why on earth would they design that beautiful fireplace with angle iron? Before I did that, I would use some form of ornate cast iron shelving arms. Or have someone custom make you some fire dogs with two levels...one for the fire logs and an upper level to hold the grate (could even make the top portion removable so they would not be in there all the time.)

But what would be easier and nicer looking is to use a stone lip all the way around the inside for that purpose? Looks like the large middle stone could just be pushed in an inch or so all the way around to accomplish that task. From the pics, it looks like you stopped cementing the stones at that area too...is that correct?

-=Jasen=-

I was thinking about that too, DJ. Just using the stone ledge; what the heck it's all going to be black from soot anyway. Not easy to see in that photo but the ledge is 4" X 14" wide, solid all the way through the wall all the way around, and does have a lip inside I could possibly slide a grill on.

For sure need a fire grate. Just figured any fireplace store would have a basic model to hold wood. I'm also wondering how much distance to put between the fire grate and the grill? And will the top of lime stone edge be too high.

I wanted to make sure and note, I'm not trying to build a grill; I really just wanted a fireplace. But what the heck, since the option is there. You know how it is sitting around a fire; sometimes you want to just toss something on.

It's all mortared together; the top portion being wet may make it look like nothing is there.

So sorry DJ, I can't just move anything an inch or so.... hehe but I may already have enough ledge. If that's the way I go.

This may give you a better view. It's close call if that ledge is enough room for grill expansion. I think I measured 1/2 inch at the time, maybe more, don't remember.

I had the same idea for the grill placement at the time but Wife talked me out of it; otherwise I'd of set more lip

102_1209.jpg

John, drop dead gorgeous fireplace! Sure finding lots of "I wants" on this forum. I've been looking at several pre-fab units on the market,most poorly engineered. I even toyed with the idea of building a wood burning bread/pizza oven. And then.... Anyway, still thinking of installing an outdoor fireplace,my village currently prohibits any open flame, unless it's for cooking(we always have a bag of marshmallows available, although by now they're more like ceramic/portland cement nuggets). Guess I have to invite the village pres. for dinner and drinks!