Breech

OT Caution

Just wanted to warn people. I received an email invitation from a woman I work with that is a close friend to join as a friend on a site called Tagged. She uses a nickname that is very unusual. I guess it is similar to My Space although I am really not familiar with either. I answered yes I am a friend and proceeded to fill in name and some other info and when I went to the next page it asked for my email and my email password saying it was so they could search my contacts for members of Tagged in my contacts. No way was I going to give them my email address so I stopped the registration and sent her an email through regular email. I was curious so I did a search and found the website and when I went there it immediately said I was registered but I never completed the form. There was her profile under a message I received but all the icons showed profile no longer available when I ran the mouse pointer over them. I searched for her profile exactly as it appeared in the email I received but it came up as not found. I sent her another email explaining everything that happened and she responded saying she had not emailed me at all and that she had heard a similar story from others. She has changed all her passwords. I don!t know if this is Tagged that is responsible or if someone accessed her email contacts in some other way but I would guess that is what happened and then emails were sent to everyone in her contacts list to join as a friend on Tagged. Funny if someone did that from elsewhere that they would try and enlist people as friends of Tagged. Also the registration asking for your email password. I am staying clear of Tagged and would recommend that others do too.

Yes, thanks Breech. I've personally seen a similar scenario myself, but it was called something different--Pronto, if I remember right.

Yeah, anytime certain information is requested--like passwords--it makes total sense to stay away. Especially lately, these different programs and wares are getting more and more creative and tricky.

I've gotten a slew of invites to sites with various "themes", many of them put together by individuals. Kind of scary since most people use the same login/password for a lot of sites that they'd sign up for smaller places like this.

BTW: I've moved this to the MIsc section for better bookkeeping. :)

It is scary how realistic and sophisticated some of the phishing scams are getting. I get one about every other day for Paypal saying there is a problem with my account or transaction dispute requesting I log in via their link. The email looks exactly like the normal email from Paypal too. Of course they sent it to an email that I don't have registered with Paypal. Also get numerous financial institution phishing scams playing the same game. Like someone said here already.....bottom line is to never give out any protected information or log into any account via a link sent through email. Always go to financial organizations website to perform your log in and even then, it is always best to deal with ones with proper security protocols in place.

-=Jasen=-