Firemonkey

Breading wings for the grill??

I am curious, has anyone tried breading chicken wings to be cooked on the grill? A la Dizzy Pig's method:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

I usually do mine un-breaded (and usually still frozen) for a few hours at 275, until the skin is crispy. I am going to make a load of wings for football this Sunday, so I am looking for some ideas for something different. Either thawing them (I buy them in a bag IQF) and marinating for a while or maybe with breading.

They come with "*up to 12% magic juice" in them, which is why i dont usually bother with a marinade :D

I did a few batches. I let half of then marinate overnight in a beer marinade and the other half plain. I preferred the plain - the marinade was a bit overpowering.

I also used two different breading mixes - one with half corn meal and flour, the other all flour. I am usually not a fan of corn meal breading, but I gave them a shot anyway. As expected, I found the cornmeal too crunchy and dry. The all flour breading was great though :D

I mixed up a spiced breading, using a mix I had made up of cayenne, paprika, salt, onion powder, etc. They were great even without sauce. The others needed sauce.

Next time I will skip the marinade, and go with a few plain ones for the tenderfoot pallets, and the rest in the spiced breading.