LarryR

Butts on a Ceramic, a little diferent . . .

. . . than on my smoker. Let's just say I'm glad I decided to do just one butt vs. three. I was bound to have a bad cook sooner or later, I've had a pretty good string of luck going.

So I did an overnight on a 10 lb butt averaging about 230 for 18 hours. Checked her at 190 and she wasn't quite done yet. Checked her at 195 and she was ready, seemed very moist and tender at that point. Wrapped in foil, towels and then in a cooler for 2.5 hours until we were ready to eat. Went to pull her and she wouldn't pull, she just fell apart and was more the consistency of canned tuna fish. Definitely overdone. However the great thing about an error like this, is she still tasted awesome! Bark was probably the best I've ever done, very moist and excellent flavor, just wasn't "pulled" pork inside the roast.

So here's my question, due to the higher moisture level when doing a butt in a ceramic can you not foil as long as when cooked in a traditional smoker? I've foiled up to five hours after using a traditional smoker and still had "pullable" pork. When planning (or needing) to foil what temps should you pull at (knowing that temps are just a guide, it's really tenderness you're looking for) in order to foil for more than say an hour? Based on today's cook I'd say I should have pulled her at 180 - 185.

Thanks in advance for any tips, won't be posting any pictures of this one, LOL.

I remember David and Kim's take on this (from a different era some here will remember): Butt is done when it's done, one feels it, rather than measures it.

That said, I usually try to "dwell" at around 170 F as long as I can, and take the butt off the fire before 190 F. I like the fat mostly rendered, and collagens liquified, but I find the standard for pulled pork to be a bit stringy. There's a lot of different muscles in a butt; I like them to separate from each other, without turning to rope strands.

PICTURES

I'm wondering if foiling of butts is due to the fact that non-ceramics don't maintain the level of moisture that a ceramic does. I was amazed at how moist it was when I took her off the cooker. More moist than any butt I've ever done. In fact, I had my finishing sauce ready to go in the butt when I pulled her but didn't put any in due to how moist she was, just tossed in a couple tablespoons of rub for added flavor.

I think it was the foiling that "mushified" my butt . . . that just doesn't sound right now does it, LOL. Next time I'll try pulling her off, resting for 30 min. and then pulling. I'm also going to start checking for "doneness" around 180 next time.

Foiling and putting in a cooler is also a great way to store a butt should she finish early or you've got to transport them. In today's case we just weren't ready do eat, probably would have been just fine if I hadn't foiled/coolered them.

Thanks for all the input!