kabeyun

Hello everyone

Just wanted to say Hi. I'm the proud new owner of a Gen 2.2 Ultimate OTB (#420, gotta love it!). I'm completely thrilled and I haven't even cooked anything yet. To finish curing - and to practice - I'm burning some of Dennis's extruded coconut and this beast is simply idiot-proof. A crack of the lower damper, a half-turn of the upper, and it's held 210 degrees on the nose for the last fifteen hours. Wow! I'd post a pic here but I guess the rules prevent me from uploading a file until I've posted twice. Coming soon...

Cheers,

- K

Yeah, I read that, but then I saw this business about the first 24 hours. I figured I get that over with and learn a little about managing KK fire in the process.

Komodo Kamados are fully cured in the factory, but it is still recommended to keep the first few cooks 

below 200°F.  After 24 hours of use you can grill at high temperatures without worry.

Cheers, primeats. Nice avatar!

-K

Drunk_J

Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackie from Jersey wrote:

Whoops. I thought you didn't have to do low temperature to cure anymore. Does that mean I did something bad to my kooker?

I believe all of Dennis' newest generation cookers have all been pre-fired at the factory. That was only a recommendation on some of the previous models.....but not a necessity.

-=Jasen=-

I would drink BEER with a goat on a boat, in a box in my socks, in a car at a bar. I do, I do, I do like BEER!

---Slammed I am!

Beautiful! So what's your first cook going to be?

It's happening today. I'm doing 2 racks of baby backs and a whole duck. Ambitious for a first cook, but what the hell. I'll be like a proud daddy if I get it right. I'm wet-marinating the ribs overnight in oil/vinegar/lemon/garlic to tenderize, then I'll remove the wet marinate and rub with a mixture akin to Dennis's - oil basecoat, then onion, garlic, dry mustard, S&P, and a little Lysander's pork rub (aka miracle powder). Some cider/maple mop during the cook and Bob's your uncle.

The duck is getting its skin scored & salted, then to the top rack it goes. I'm going to lightly hickory the duck (couldn't find applewood) but I don't want to smoke the ribs. It should work out well; the duck'll need about 6 hours @ 225-250 and the ribs should need 4-5, so I'll put the duck on with the wood chips pouch, then after an hour or 2 in go the ribs and out come the chip if there are any left.

Like I said, ambitious! If I understand the rules, it never happened without pictures, so I'm charging my camera tonight. 8)

-K

P.S. Good call, David! I think the terra cotta tiles gives props to the clay oven origins of kamado cookers. Plus the matte finish is killer.

I'm a believer

It's taken this long for me to get up from the dinner table. The ribs were incredible. Just incredible. I found some other goodies to add to the rub. Here's the final ingredient list: oil basecoat, half an onion, 5 cloves garlic, half-tsp worcestershire, 2 tsp dry mustard, S&P, 1 dried ancho chile, 1/3 cup brown sugar, half-tsp thyme, half-tsp cumin, 2 tsp smoked paprika (can be hard to find) and a little Lysander's pork rub. In the food processor & smeared on the beauties.

The duck was perfect with just a hint of smoke, and my brother made a port raspberry sauce to go with it. The corn was grilled in-husk on a conventional coal grill and I whipped up some chili lime butter for it. Add some maple string beans and, well, you get up a week later.

Cheers!

-K

gx1nYyki.jpg

gx1nYFOJ.jpg

gx1nYKO0.jpg

aV1AF7uJ.jpg

gx1nYXgJ.jpg

aV1AFhti.jpg