Porkchop

Central IL, 30deg, here's what's cookin' (with pics)

got an overniter going tonite, and when i decide to do one of those, it's with a mind to do alot and freeze leftovers. I've got 4 butts, 3 rubbed down with my own rub, 1 nude. Never done a nude butt, but I always wanted to do a comparison between the 2. Also got a whole pork loin, cut in half, that will come off at around midnite (about 4 hours). Tomorrow morning, I'll be putting 3 slabs of spares on the upper grill for a late lunch (around 2). I plan on leaving the butts on for at least 20 hours (4pm) or later. Here's some pics of the raw materials and grill setup...

butts030306no2.jpg

3 rubbed down butts ready for a smoke bath

porkloin030306.jpg

a whole pork loin to keep them company

buttsonKong030306.jpg

you can see the "nude" butt in the back

buttsandloin030306.jpg

loaded to the top, bout 45# of pork

all is cooking over lump and maple harvested from my own front yard! :D

tomorrow, i'll post pics of the ribs and final products...

Porkchop...

That is one stuffed cooker... Most I've done is 2~3 racks of ribs and a butt. I've always wondered about the time math when cooking more than 1 cut of meat though... The general rule of thumb I allow for pork butt and brisket is ~1-1/2 hr/lb. So for a 8lb pork butt I allow 12hours meanig if I want Dinnr at 6PM, the meat goes in at 6AM (meaning I have to get up at ~4:30AM, take the meat out, get the cooker going, get the temp stabilized...). Presumably, if I have 2 8lb cuts it's no difference. But what happens when one packs the cooker like you've done. Same difference? I'm asking since seem to recall that you worked at a Q joint earlier in your life.

Math????

y'know, i used to hold by the ol' 1.5hr/butt, but really, they are so different one from another, the only way i can do it is by feel. plus, cooking temps differ too. I tend to want my cooker real low, 200-225 is what i shoot for. up it to 250-275, and it's a whole nother ball game. i give myself 24 hrs for butts, 8 hrs for spares (trimmed) and tips. i start checking at 16 and 6 respectively. tonite, butts were done ok at 16, but i let them go longer, and it is always worth the wait. same for spares; took all 8. i do not like setting up my spares like that, tho. necessity; those cryovacs come 3 slabs/pack. i don't like using the rack. my experience, slabs are always better cooked flat, and i cut spares in half. i don't even bother with bbacks anymore; not worth my time or $. anyhow, hope that helps. here's some more pics.

thefinish030406_0007.jpg

pulled pork (2 butts worth!)

thefinish030406_0001.jpg

1 slab of ribs

thefinish030406_0002.jpg

ribs and tips, 1/2 slab each

sorry bout the lame-o pics; crummy camera... hope you get the idea tho! rather spend the money on meat than photographic equipment :D