smokykensbbq

First Brisket

This is the first brisket that I have ever done so my expectations were kind of low and I was just hoping that I would not dry it out. So, after reading numerous articles I decided to smoke the brisket at 225 degrees with some hickory and cherry wood until the internal temperature reached 190 degrees.

I marinated the brisket for several hours and then applied my rub on the brisket liberally. Once the brisket hit the desired internal temperature I removed the brisket and wrapped it in press and seal and placed the brisket in the bottom of the refrigerator drawer (thanks DJ). Once I removed the brisket from the refrigerator drawer and opened it up the brisket seemed to have kept almost all of its moisture. The brisket was excellent and much better than I expected and yes it was very moist, even the ends.

Pq8AkmJ.jpg

Great job on your first brisket! From your picture it looks like you cooked a brisket flat, I recommend that you try to find a packers cut next time because since they have more fat they tend to turn out even juicer. At any rate, congrats to you, you can be proud that you successfully handled one of the most difficult cuts of meat to BBQ.