jdbower

Chestnuts

These are pretty easy. First, obtain some chestnuts. Around us there are huge bins of them in most grocery stores around this time of year.

Then you'll need to puncture the shell of the chestnut so steam doesn't turn them into miniature hand grenades. They're pretty soft and I use just a regular knife, but you can also look into a small hooked chestnut knife or other specialty tools (you can probably find lots at a local kitchen store.

You'll want to roast them at about 400F for around 20 minutes. I just put them on foil but a pizza stone would work as would a cast iron skillet or any specialty roaster. They'll become more tender when they're done.

After that put them in an old, clean towel and use the towel to roll them around and break the skin. Let them rest in the towel for a few minutes so they can cool.

Then peel, eat, and enjoy! I've only oven roasted them (so far!) so I'm not sure which type of wood would impart the best flavor but I'm sure you'll have fun experimenting.

Awesome, JDBower, Thanks !!! You bet I'll have fun.

One question, do the chestnuts need to be roated via a single layer, or as you suggested using a pan, can you fill a pan (more than one layer) to roast the nuts?

I was thinking I'd use my Lodge cast iron pizza pan. But I also have dutch ovens...

Am I losing it, what happened to the beginning of the thread? I don't see it.

I'm not sure about multiple layers as I've never tried it. I'd imagine it would work, but you may want to try a single layer to make sure you know when they're done. It wouldn't surprise me if a large quantity would need stirring or more time, although if you heat them indirect (which you're already mostly doing by cooking them in something) I'd imagine the stirring wouldn't be needed.

Since the chestnuts really cook in their shell the container you use to cook them probably isn't all that important. You may find cast iron would do better indirect since it will transmit the heat a bit more, but you may also like that it could burn the bottoms of the shells a bit. Of course this may not even be an issue, I haven't tried on an open flame before.

I created a new thread in the techniques section for you since it's a more appropriate location instead of hiding this little chestnut of information in a Happy Camper thread (pun, sadly, intended) :)

I might suggest that they are laid on a towel and a X cut through the skin for steam release. Then put in rotisserie wrapped with wire (to keep them contained). Roast on KK @ 400 for 20-30 minutes. The skin will split open at the cut and be dark in color when done. Peel while still hot. (easier)

Can also be enclosed in foil w/holes.

Note: If X is not cut they have a tendency to explode. (escaping steam)

I like the idea of using the rotisserie, I'll have to try that eventually. I also read about using an "X" on the shell, but I've never had any issues with a slit (granted, I twist the knife a bit to make sure it doesn't reseal). Anyone have any exploding nuts with just a slit?

And Jackie, I've always done the oven roasting technique and my wife's been happy with the results, do you like the stovetop method better? I'm guessing that the KK indirect would be like oven roasting but KK direct in a cast iron skillet may be more like stovetop. I guess I can start to experiment myself now :)

JD They turned out great!!!

Here's some pictures of the process.

Only thing is the charcoal I used sucked!! I need to check Whiz site to see what he saysabout it. I picked up a 20 lb bag from True Value, the bag reads hardwood lump, that's about it. But from the moment I hit it with my gas burner I thought I set off the next 4th of July fireworks. Sparks flying everywhere; then when I opened the dome everything was covered in soot, including the pan.

Here goes.

Packaged Chestnuts.

102_1288.jpg

Dome up to temp.

102_1290.jpg

In the pan they go.

102_1291.jpg

Smokin Away

102_1292.jpg

30 minutes later; ready to come off

102_1294.jpg

And here they are!! Yum, yum good.

102_1296.jpg

Even the next day, 30 second warm up in the micro were just as good.

Thanks JD for your instructions. Next time I think I will make a larger puncture hole. I punctured both sides. No exploding bombs, but think a larger cut will make them easier to open.