jdbower

Does this count as a cook? Twice smoked ham

Does it really count as cooking when you've got a fully cooked ham you're heating? Fresh ham is hard to find in my normal grocery stores so I used a spiral cut hickory smoked pre-cooked ham. First of all, I was at Lowes looking for a spool of CAT5 cable, they were out but I found a 250' spool of pre-made cable which can probably be useful for a lot of things. Most notably running it down the bulkhead to my basement where my router is.

stokerspoolmediumwd1.th.jpg

It gets dark, and cold, pretty early up here so I'm always looking for ways to stay inside. I used StokerLog to remotely manage the cook; I can probably get away with about 15-30 minutes outside if I need to. Yes, I really need to do something about my "BBQ cart" :oops:

newyearshammidcookmediurf9.th.jpg

I smoked it at 275 (indirect) for a bit, but I was using StokerLog's neat ETA (Eating Time, Approximately) feature so I adjusted the temps to finish around 8pm for dinner.

newyearshamdoneongrillspl6.th.jpg

I ended up around 325 which gave the first few slices a nice crisp, it tasted like really lean bacon and was delicious with the double hickory flavor. Even better, my wife doesn't like that texture so they were all mine. Inside was still juicy so she was also happy, especially when I heated the included glaze packet as a dipping sauce.

newyearshamdoneontablemnk4.th.jpg

Was it food?

Did its temperature increase as a result of being placed on the KK?

Then it was a cook.

One of my favorites is to get a half-baked deep-dish chicken pizza from Zachary's Pizza in Berkeley and do the final bake over oak charcoal. Re-crisps the bottom crust and adds a nice smoke flavor to the pizza. Based on the reactions of the eaters it definitely counts as a cook.

It may not be THAT much colder (usually only a few degrees different), but there's a lot more snow and I'm pretty sure it gets darker a lot earlier than it did in NJ. Today official sunset was 4:29 here, but 4:47 in Howell - it may only be 18 minutes but it sure seems to get darker faster after sunset. That's OK, it means that in the summertime I'll have plenty of daylight.

I've been lucky enough to have only needed to visit Stockholm in the summer months, there the sun kind of gets low around 11pm but it never fully sets. It's really odd eating at an outdoor cafe in broad daylight at 10pm. Of course it's gorgeous there (about 70F all the time) but all the Swedes decide to take that month off to head to Spain - don't they know they should do that in the winter when it's 40 below and you get a peep of daylight for lunch?