jdbower

Netgear Powerline Ethernet adapters

How is this BBQ relevant? Stoker users will understand :)

I was contemplating several methods for getting Ethernet out to my Stoker. One was just running a hardline Ethernet cable, I've got a temporary solution run now, but the problem is that my KKs currently wander between my driveway and my garage (where they hide from the snowplow). Not only would a permanent outside run be tough (I'd probably need to wait until spring to dig a trench) but finding a good location is difficult without a dedicated patio. Not to mention that finding a good weatherproof Ethernet jack is difficult in and of itself so I'd need to build a protected pedestal. And let's not get into the security issues with an outside-accessible RJ45...

Wireless is an option. There are wireless game adapters out there that can turn a hardline Ethernet port into a WiFi adapter. I got one, but not only does it not accept the level of security on my network but even when I dumb down the security the range isn't long enough. I could try putting a wifi repeater for the other end of the house, but then it hit me. I need power for the Stoker, and I'd need another plug for this WiFi adapter. If I need power out there anyway, why not an Ethernet Powerline Adapter?

I got an XE103G kit of two adapters and they work great. My router is between 75' and 100' from the power jack I use for outside, then I run through a 50' extension cable and there are two surge suppressors in between - but the Stoker comes up just fine through it. Granted, 85Mbps is a bit much for Stoker access but I'd rather have too much than too little. I think I can just add another wherever I need an Ethernet port, so that could help when I put set top boxes around the house.

About the only thing I wonder about that I can't test is how it would affect some home automation technologies. Of particular interest are X10 signals (strictly powerline modulation) and Insteon signals (a hybrid of powerline and RF signaling). Either way this is a much more elegant solution to my 250' spool of CAT5. :)

Looks like a good solution for a remote jack. I have been contemplating if/how to put a network port outside by the grill. I have one 30 feet away inside the sunroom, but thought maybe outside would be handy if I ever got a stoker.

Here is my question for you - What are the physical dimensions on it? The netgear specs dont mention the measurements. Specifically, will it fit under the cover of a "in use" wet enclosure? Any cook long enough to warrant a stoker is subject to encountering a downpour where I live.

It's about the size of a large power brick. It's two-prong with a fixed connector (having a passthrough outlet or three built into it would be nice...) but I have plenty of 6" "extension" cables (liberators) I can use. It measures 3"x4"x1.75" but I'd imagine there's a lot of dead space inside if you want to crack the case to save space.

JB, I'm sure I won't need the Stoker by the time I'm done getting things set up because I'll probably be dead before I stop buying gadgets and changing things around ;)

Of course, one of the downsides of this solution over the WiFi solution which is not evident now is that not bathing the KK area with WiFi can impede the use of laptops. I've got an EVDO wireless broadband card so I'm not too concerned for myself, but it's something for some people to consider.

My entire patio area is covered by my wireless network bubble. Now I just need someone to develop wireless POWER to make my laptop experience truly mobile!

I am actually putting an outlet right next to the grill area, which will allow me to plugin the laptop while Im in the hammock as well. And for those who are assuming me to be crazy, remember that I work from home, so my backyard is just an extension of my cubicle :D

My boys at the IEEE had reported on this over a year ago, maybe it'll be closer to reality today. For those interested in the original paper, you can check this out. It's interesting stuff, but it may be a while before a) it becomes powerful enough to power a laptop, B) laptops become efficient enough to use it or, most likely, c) a combination of the two.

F.M.' date=' how long does your battery last in your laptop?[/quote']

It all depends on how hard its working. This battery is only a few months old, so I can get about 3 to 3.5 hours of typical use out of it - doing work, not watching DVDs which shortens it to about 2 hours.

The screen brightness is the big variable, and if you use it outdoors even at full backlighting you need to be in some shade to see the screen...and the battery will die in probably 90 mins.

About the only thing I wonder about that I can't test is how it would affect some home automation technologies.
I can tell you... it will NOT work. Any other 'signal over power' technology will conflict with the other. I had similar jacks for phone lines in the house and the Ethernet over power did not work while these were plugged in. However, the product worked well when it was the only plugged in signal-over-power technology.