Firemonkey

Almost Baltimore style pit beef

Pit beef is a regional version of roast beef that you find around Baltimore. Its charred roast beef with a savory, spicy crust, and a juicy center. As a native Marylander, it has been a long time since I had some, so I decided I would give it a shot on the KK.

I used a chunk of sirloin tip roast, and a rub recip adapted from one of Raichlens recipes. For those interested, here is a nice article by Raichlen and recipe from the NYTimes:

Article here

I would have used the rub recipe from the article, but I didnt have any seasoned salt on hand, so I used Tony Cachere's creole seasoning instead. Here is what I used for the rub.

2 tablespoons Tony C's creole seasoning

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon thyme

I coated the roast (about 3-4 pounds of sirloin tip) and wrapped it in saran wrap. It went int he fridge for 2 days, turning it over once or twice a day to keep juices moving.

I got the KK nice and hot, RAGING hot, about 550-600 dome. I had the door slid open 2 inches and the top hat open 1.5 turns. The meat went on the main grate, directly over the hot fire. Flip it every 15 mins or so, and cook until you get the internal temp you want. For me, it was 130 since my family will cringe at very rare beef. Pull the roast off and let rest until slightly warm.

Slice as thin as you can across the grain and make into sandwiches with horseradish sauce. Horseradish sauce is mayo and prepared horseradish at a 2:1 ratio, with a splash of lemon juice and fresh ground pepper. If you have a slicer, now is the time to break it out. I dont have one (yet!) so I cut the roast into smaller chunks and fed it into my food processor with the thin slicing blade on it.

I went full scale Maryland-ite and dressed some fries with cider vinegar and Old Bay to go with it.

For a relatively tough cut like sirloin tip, you will be impressed with how juicy and tender the sliced results are - Very Tasty!

img0386.jpg

img0387.jpg

img0388a.jpg

img0392.jpg

Re: Almost Baltimore style pit beef

I have a 4 lb bottom round center cut roast in the frig, seasoned yesterday, and am looking to cook it on the KK Baltimore pit beef style tomorrow so I was very glad to find this post. Does anyone know approximately how long it should take to cook it to 120 deg over this high heat? I will be using my thermapen but am looking for a ballpark amount of time - like 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, etc.