ThreeDJ16

Red Beans & Rice

4Here ya go Majestik - Red Beans and Rice!

Red Bean & Rice with Ham Hocks and Andouille

1 pound dry red kidney beans

6 smoked ham hocks or neckbones

2 cups of celery (chopped fine)

2 cups of onion (chopped fine)

3 cups of bell pepper (chopped fine)

5 or 6 jalepeno or serrano peppers (depending of the heat you like) (chopped fine)

5 bay leaves

2 tsp white pepper

2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves

1 tsp red pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

salt to taste

1/4 tsp ground cumin

few shots of tabasco to taste

gumbo file' powder (optional)

1 - 2 pounds andouille sausage (you can substitute any smoked sausage, but it is worth the effort to find andouille)

5 cups cooked rice

One of my beliefs is that anything that calls for water can be improved by using stock, boullion, broth or bacon drippings/water. The night before cooking this dish, I trim all my vegetable to get things ready and take the parts unusable in the dish and toss them in a big pot (vegetable tops, bottoms and internals). I then make a stock by adding one of the hocks or bacon drippings to the pot, salt and pepper, covering it all with several quarts of water and boil uncovered till it reduces by half. Strain out the solids and toss the dried beans in this for an overnight rehydration (you can do a quick boil method - but overnight is prefered). This way the beans rehydrate with tasty stock instead of plain water (tip: make sure there is some oil in the stock - either from the bacon or hocks as this helps flavor pass into the beans). I also reserve some of this stock for cooking the rice! For those who prefer to cut down on some of the beans after effects, rinse the beans and discard remaining liquid (that is a big waste in my opinion). I just toss everything left right into the same pot (minus the sausage and rice), top it with canned broth or water and simmer covered till the beans start to soften (tip: be very cautious as beans like to stick to the bottom - so stir often - if they do stick, do not unstick them, but rather transfer contents to a fresh pot as the stuck beans are burned). Then I add the sausage and continue to cook uncoverage till thickened. You can use gumbo file' powder as a thickener if you like the beans thick (I do). Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice!

cajun and creole receipes

Drunk j, I live in new orleans and I see your interest in the local cooking. I always have several of this cookbooks on hand to give to friends for birthdays, etc. I consider it to be one of the bibles of local cuisine. It is called the New orleans Cookbook by Richard and Rima Collins. I go to Alibris.com and do a search for it. At present it is only available in paperback but hard copies, used will show up there and I have bought some for 10.00 to 15.00 ea, This one I highly recommend.

As far as Andouille Jacob's In LaPlace , LA will ship their andouille. This is the one I use and I feel it is the best. They will cry vac it for you and it freezes fairly well for 3 months. Past that the texture and the flavor is compromised. Google Jacobs and they do have a website.

Hope I have been of some help, I am new to the forum, and I must admit have been looking at the Komado seriously. I own a kamado, and a green egg, but Dennis' fine tuning of the Kamado is incredible.

Steve

Re: cajun and creole receipes

Drunk j, I live in new orleans and I see your interest in the local cooking. I always have several of this cookbooks on hand to give to friends for birthdays, etc. I consider it to be one of the bibles of local cuisine. It is called the New orleans Cookbook by Richard and Rima Collins. I go to Alibris.com and do a search for it. At present it is only available in paperback but hard copies, used will show up there and I have bought some for 10.00 to 15.00 ea, This one I highly recommend.

As far as Andouille Jacob's In LaPlace , LA will ship their andouille. This is the one I use and I feel it is the best. They will cry vac it for you and it freezes fairly well for 3 months. Past that the texture and the flavor is compromised. Google Jacobs and they do have a website.

Hope I have been of some help, I am new to the forum, and I must admit have been looking at the Komado seriously. I own a kamado, and a green egg, but Dennis' fine tuning of the Kamado is incredible.

Steve

Hey - welcome to the forum. You will find many previous K owners here who have made or making the swap. Anything we can do to help - just let us know. Trust me, we have asked Dennis almost every question in the book - hehe.

I always appreciate good info on cooking and I am already in route to look for the book you recomended. (I am jealous since you can get this fine eating anytime you want without having to make it) I also thank you for the store info to get the sausage. I cannot wait. It is really, really hard to find OK sausage here, but impossible to find great. I actually made the andouille sausage I am using - it is good but I am learning. But I would rather buy great - hehe. The book that I get my recipes out of is Paul Prudhommes Louisianna Kitchen, but I never follow a strict recipe.

-=Jasen=-

PS - Mike you happy now? - hehe - I typed and posted that at 4am just for you!

Re: cajun and creole receipes

Steve

Dude, this book is great!! I appreciate the tip. I cannot wait to try some of these recipes. Plenty of stuff I have never even heard of!!

-=Jasen=-

Ummm-Ummm. How much for 1 lb of the sausage?

Good catch on Sanny, yeah she woulda been all over that wouldn't she. She seemed so sweet and innocent over on the other forum...what happened :shock:

When buying 5 lbs or more they have a special $4 per lb. But normal is $4.36 a lb. Shipping is the kicker (they have to send it 2nd day express) - it was $20 for 5 lbs of sausage, 1 lb of tasso and 1 pck of their roux mix!

-=Jasen=-

http://www.cajunsausage.com/products.htm

Pressure Cooker Made Easy!!

Man, I pulled out this recipe today and decided to try it in the pressure cooker instead of the normal all day long cook. OMG it was fantastic. Basically 30 minutes including all the prep and post activities provided the beans are already soaked. Tasted like it cooked all day long.

Majestik, you gotta try this. I know how much you like the red beans and rice.

-=Jasen=-