LarryR

Pernil

Thinking about doing Pernil this weekend, anyone done one on a ceramic? Not sure if I'll use any wood or not. I'm thinking of going 450 for an hour then taking her down to 250 until about 180 (slicing doneness). If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations please let me know.

modified

LarryR, you got me going with your pernil. I took a pork butt, pierced and inserted the garlic per that recipe, rubbed it down with olive oil and patted on a generic dry rub. She's cooking now at 220. Got it on the top rack. On the main grill I have a big brisket I'm cooking for a funeral tomorrow. We did not know the gentleman, the father of a casual acquaintance. Kerrville is a pretty small town, people tend to reach out a helping hand to other folks they only know peripherally. So my wife asked me to do the brisket. I haven't cooked since last Saturday and was in serious withdrawl, at least up until about a half hour ago. Now there's some aromatic mesquite smoke wafting around the back porch! Gonna head out there and fire up a CAO Criollo, and watch the Painted Buntings.

Doc you're a man after my own heart, low and slow, the lower the better. Hope you enjoyed your stogie.

I've decided I'm going to reverse the cooking instructions and go low on the front end then "reverse sear" with high heat at the end. This should give a more even cook, or at least this is my experience with beef roasts.

I'll update pictures along the way.

Pernil Done/Consumed

I'm officially a Pernil fan; end product was delicious and it was a nice departure from pulled pork. I ran her around 265 - 270 for 9 hours then attempted to crank her up for the reverse sear. Well, a chimney of Rancher will only go so far, couldn't get her over 360 so I threw her on the gasser at 550. After I put her on the gasser I looked at my fuel and there was probably only enough Rancher to maintain the lower temps for another couple hours, still not bad, 11 hours out of a chimney of Rancher. Next time I'll use more fuel.

I took it off at 180, next time I'll probably take off right after she breaks out of the plateau. For the most part she sliced nicely but there were some pieces that wanted to shred. Meat was moist, tender and packed with flavor. The injecting really paid off. Also the garlic really added to the flavor.

If you haven't tried this cook I highly recommend. I took the lazy man's way out and used Mojo Criollo which was quite good.

Pictures are updated.

Did this again last night, changed my approach and was VERY pleased with the results. I started her at 450 and brought her down to 325 for the remainder of the cook. Pulled her off at 172 PERFECTION! Highly recommend cooking at the higher temp.

Didn't take any pictures except this crappy one from my BlackBerry

th_Pernil091114.jpg

"Whew. That shot saved it from being an imaginary cook! Looks tasty."

Thus the shitty quality picture lol. As I was getting ready to carve I thought, "I'd better take a picture of this damn thing or I'm going to get the "no picture didn't happen" comment we give people a hard time with. I'm going to do another one over the holidays and I'll take some higher quality pictures.

Note, I think this would work very well on a rotisserie if you've got one.