cruzmisl

Pulled pork tutorial

Remember the pork shoulder is comprised of two cuts really,the Boston butt and the Picnic. The Boston butt is the blade section, rather fatty, perfect for pulled pork, and the picnic is the arm sesction, pretty lean, and maybe a little unforgiving as pulled pork, nnot too say it won't work well. Especially in a superior outdoor implement like the KK.If I were to bbq a picnic I think I would brine it according to Syzygiess specs.

prime, i like the results from a shoulder better than just a butt, and think it's actually more forgiving, but as much waste as there is with a butt, even more with a shoulder, which is what always gives me pause. cheapskate that i am.

funny thing is, it's the stuff you throw away with the shoulder that makes it a better cook, imo. all the bone in the picnic adds flavor and "does something" in terms of the texture of the meat while it's cooking. and that big flap of skin up top, which i leave on while cooking. i do cut/pull it away from the meat, season underneath it, then cover it back up again.

it probably works out to the same price, now that i think of it, since whole shoulder is generally a little less expensive than a butt; i just don't like throwing stuff away i guess...