JeffB

How do people use the heat deflector?

Will all the items that come with the Komodo for managing indirect cooking, I am curious what people have generally found to work best. Heat deflector on the charcoal basket or on the lower grill? And does the height difference between the two make a difference in results? With the stainless liner or without? Do you use the drip pan or do you just let drippings fall onto the heat deflector and vaporize for the flavor (I have seen some heat deflector photos in which the deflector looks black and crusty so I assume some are doing this). It looks like mguerra uses a wok filled with lava rocks which I assume gives the same effect. Any other options?

It seems like most people put the deflector on the charcoal basket. This probably creates the most even deflection since it's lower down, but I tend to use the lower grate. My reasoning is more laziness than anything technical; I can bring the cooker up to temps with the heat deflector in place and more easily launch some smokeables into the fire just before I put the food on without removing anything. Since I'm still happy with the results I figure that's all that matters :)

I always leave the liner on, the theory is that it will help smooth out hotspots and protects the deflector - plus if you ever drop the deflector and it breaks it's still useful if you put the pieces in the liner. I put the drip pan on top of the deflector to protect the surface a bit, but I also use the deflector as a pizza stone so it's not exactly spotless.

I put my HD on the basket handles, without the liner. I use the liner as a smaller drip pan occasionally. For the HD, I put the cold HD on the basket handles after i light the fire, and let the whole grill come up to temp with the HD in place.

Sometimes, I will let the drippings fall onto the stone, and other times not. with a whole chicken, I put a small (chinese carryout) foil pan on the main grate, and the chicken above it on the upper grill. The pan catches the bulk of the drippings but there are still a few extremities of the bird that drip outside the pan, and down to the stone. When one side of the stone gets all crusty with burnt on gook, i just flip it over so that side burns clean and I have a nice clean side on top again.

I have a separate stone i use for pizzas, the HD is way to dirty to use for that.