bryan

Chili Bricks for freezer

Found on web. Modified chili powder, process, and notes.

Anyone recall the grocery store chili bricks from the 40-50's?

Good fast meal.

10 lb ground beef (85 pct)

12 cl garlic minced

1/4 c paprika

2 1/4 c chili powder (Gebhardt Chili Powder)

1/4 c ground cumin

1/2 t b/pepper

8 lg onions chopped (strong flavor onions not sweet onions)

1- Cook meat garlic and onions until done use no water, will form quite a lot of juice, but do not ladle off.

2- When done add paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well and often while cooking (about 15 min longer over very low heat).

3- When done pour into (10-12) miniature loaf pans (5.75x3x2). Cool and freeze. 4- Remove from freezer and let pans release bricks.

5- Saran/foil wrap each brick and place 3-4 bricks in 1 gal ziploc bag. Suck bags then store in freezer until ready for use.

On serving day for one brick add:

1 can chicken broth

1 can black beans

1 can Rotel tomatoes

2 #1 can tomato puree

* salt to taste

* Thicken if needed

Notes:

I order 5# pkg's (Keep in freezer) Gebhardt Chili Powder from: http://www.texmex.net/products/spices.htm#gebhardt

Today's regular ground beef has enough fat it. Use leaner if you want, but to get flavor I suggest you prepare bricks according to this recipe and ladle off any fat you do not want when you thaw and have added beans and what ever else you want to.

After freezing just pull off and discard fat that has floated to top. You then have nearly fat free chili, but not without the flavor!

This is not a hot chili and as then you can modify (Hotness) for each pot of chili when you add the beans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chili Dogs

buns half to make 4 parts

weiners cut horizontal, cut again vertical to make 4 strips that fit buns

chili brick mix

steak pans

Place pans on KK to heat up.

Put 4 pieces of bun face down on each pan (easier to cut)

put 1 strip of weiner on each bun

Ladel on chili

Bring to temp.

Serve with sides and Ice Tea.

chile bricks for freezer

I misread this as "chile bricks". Lately I've been making up all but the salt for my rubs (roasting and grinding dried chiles), saving in the freezer in vacuum packs, and pulling out as needed for low and slow. Salt first, separately, by weight; my ballpark is 0.7% to 0.8% of the weight of the meat, guessing to subtract bones.

Your bricks sound good!

Re: Chili Bricks for freezer

Anyone recall the grocery store chili bricks from the 40-50's?......

Really??? You could buy that in a store??? Just wondering, what part of the country?

I was more wondering whatever for? I don't get it. Just so you can have seasoned ground meat if you have a sudden hankering?