Syzygies

Korean Baby Back Ribs

From a digression in another thread:

In my pre-ceramic days I was six months in a rental visiting Berkeley' date=' CA, and sharing a good gas grill with my upstairs landlords. They're friends; I'm still assigned to the grill at parties there. The one-who-cooks is Korean, and while sauced ribs is not normally my style, she makes the most incredible Korean / California fusion marinades. Her descriptions don't convey her sense of balance; I can't reproduce what she does. How she goes about ribs is all-wrong by BBQ competitor group-think, but boy do crowds devour them.[/quote']

Can you tell us more about her Korean/ California fusion marinades and her all wrong technique? Your best guesses if you don't know for sure. Could be a good jumping off point for some experimentation.

Here is my friend's recipe for Korean baby back ribs:

some brown sugar (I never measure it, but maybe 1/2 c more or less)

1c soy sauce

1 T sesame oil (from toasted sesames)

about 3 to 5 crushed red chile flakes (the kind you put on pizzas)

5 cloves of garlic

your toe sized ginger (ok, I've never seen your toe consciously, but you know what I mean) finely chopped

1/4 c water

5 scallions, thinly sliced

3 LB pork baby back ribs

Whisk all the ingredients in a baking pan or a bowl

Add the ribs and toss to coat

(Here I stab between the ribs with something sharp like a Fondue fork, or a knitting needle but not too much or the meat will look like a rag)

Here comes very un-American part--keep it at room temperature for about two hours. I know Americans will think the meat will go bad, but so far none of my guests died of rotten meat at my house, and I don't tell my guests I kept it for two hours outside the fridge)

Then refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally--no need to stay up all night--just turn before you sleep and when you wake up)

bake at 450 F or bbq