mguerra

High temp fast brisket

Re: High temp fast brisket

brisket was very good. i had put a coffee cardamom rub on the night before and with the foiling i did not get the bark i am used to, the bark was nice but after foiling was a little err...soft, mushy cant come up with the correct descriptive word here. Maybe i shouldnt expect a good bark when foiling (input on this welcome).

Larry i had said this was just a flat but is was a packer.

In my experience due to the oil in this rub you will not get a great bark, even low and slow. A buddy of mine omitted the oil and used garlic powder vs. fresh garlic with good bark results.

Generally you wont get a crisp bark when the last stage of your brisket cook is in foil. I personally much prefer a foiled brisket, you get a juicier flat. Now, I have not tried this.

Maybe when you are done with the foil phase, you could unfoil the brisket and return it to the grill for a short time to dry/crisp the surface. When I try it I will report. We do know about the concept of returning chopped point back to the fire for burnt ends, this idea is consistent with that notion.

Normally when I pull a foiled brisket off the fire I leave it resting in foil for at least an hour and preferably much longer. Using this unfoiling technique to try to crisp the bark will obviate that trick. So when I try it I will immediately refoil and rest the brisket in foil for an hour or more.

Michael

I agree that returning the flat to the smoker for 20-30 mins would help "set" the bark, However, I would think a lot of the bark on the bottom of the brisket would have dissolved into the juice that forms whilst foiled. In an attempt to "set the bark", given that much of it might be dissolved into the juices, your action might only toughen the meat a bit. But! you wold have some awfully tasty pan drippings!!!!! :D

I did a 7lb brisket flat today using the High Temp method. Rubbed it with the coffee cardamon rub yesterday afternoon so it had about 24 hours sit in the fridge. I did not use the oil. All I can say is "oh my". It has to be one of the top two or three briskets I've ever done. I didn't miss the bark because the flavor explosion distracted me. The rub really brought out a beefy flavor. I may never use my own tried-and-true rub again, now that I've found this one. I highly recommend it!

Gonna try and high heat brisket tomorrow. 8 lbs. Thick Cut USDA Choice Beef Chunk. I have no idea what that means but it was the label....

Just rubbed it with the coffee cardamon much discussed on here.

Open to any and all suggestions.  We love bark so I worry about foiling it.  Any technique advice?