Syzygies

Interesting article on Nathan Myhrvold's test kitchen

Great NYTimes article: After Microsoft, Bringing a High-Tech Eye to Professional Kitchen

Interesting read. Some highlights:

“We do have to perforate it to get the fat out,†Mr. Young said. “The easiest way is a stainless steel dog hair brush. It will poke a lot of little holes that aren’t going to show up.â€

For crispy skins, e.g. duck or suckling pig. I'd add that drying the skin with a hairdryer helps.

But for cooking, the wet bulb temperature, which is essentially a measure of the evaporation rate of water and depends on the humidity, is often more important.

Oh boy does this remind me of a slew of bbq debates. The key observation this reminds me of is that a full cooker is a happy cooker.

Because the KK is tighter than other ceramic cookers, it will create a more humid environment, so advice on temperatures won't translate literally.

In another discovery of culinary heat transfer physics, Dr. Myhrvold said the bulbous shape and black color of Weber grills were wrong. To achieve an even cooking temperature across the cooking grate, the inside of the grill should be vertical and shiny to reflect the heat.

Hmm, anyone thinking of the distinct shape Dennis gave the KK, with sides rising straight up from the main grill?