JeffB

Charcoal Storage Issue?

I recently stocked up on some Royal Oak Lump (thanks to Loquitor's tip) but have now run out of room for storing it in my garage. As a result, I decided to move it all into my garden shed. The shed is a plastic shed and has been perfectly dry in the year I have had it so I am not worried about that. However, I store pesticides/herbicides and lawn equipment (with full gas tanks) out there and am wondering if I might run into problems. The place doesn't reek but you can definitely smell chemicals when you open up the door. I plan on getting a deodorizer for the space but was wondering if anyone had experience with a similar situation. Activated charcoal is used to pick up odors but does lump charcoal still in the bag do the same? Short of physical exposure (i.e., spilling) am I likely to run into problems?

I have been looking at similar sheds here in FL. My thinking is that I can mount a 4x8 sheet of plywood on one inside wall to hang and store all KK racks and cooking tools for easy quick access.

Pallets for flooring would keep charcoal off the ground. Could even mount an outside fold down table for use when grilling, low and slow, etc.

Re: Charcoal Storage Issue? Why take a chance..

Activated charcoal is used to pick up odors but does lump charcoal still in the bag do the same? Short of physical exposure (i.e.' date=' spilling) am I likely to run into problems?[/quote']

I'm answering from the seat of my pants common sense here but to be on the safe side I'd have to advice against it. We all know that activated carbon will definitely absorb toxins out of the air.. I'm assuming that it's cousin lump charcoal to some extent would also and this would be vaporized and potentially absorbed by your food.. Why take a chance?

Based on possible complications coupled with the fact that the charcoal was actually taking up too much room in my garden shed, I decided to buy a dedicated deck box to store my charcoal. The box can hold 130 gallons and perfectly fits my charcoal stash plus various bags of smoking wood/pellets I have. Of course, now I have a limit on the amount of charcoal I can horde... but then again that might be a good thing ;-)